Honored Contributor

Don't understand the Slatkin hit or miss scents

I recently received the Slatkin Homeworx "Partridge in a Pear Tree" candle set and loved them.  The scent captures pears simmering on the stove.  Lovely and welcoming.  A big hit.

Today the "Over the River and Through the Woods" candles arrived.  I was prepared to love these as much, if not more, since I was really looking forward to something woodsy.

Sadly, when the box arrived, it smelled as if a baby had spit up on it.  I hoped something had happened to the box, but when I lifted the candle lids, it was worse.  A big miss.

Maybe these are his most complex scents, as he frequently stated on air, but maybe he had a cold or sinus condition when he was creating them

There's no spruce or any of the other claimed scents coming through.

They're going back.

Just a heads-up in case anyone is interested.

I haven't tried the other two scents in this batch of candle sets.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Don't understand the Slatkin hit or miss scents

I ordered the other three scents in this, but not the 'Over the River...' as I don't like anything with balsam or pine usually and didn't want to take the chance on them. 

The peppermint ones were shipped in place of the pear I ordered, and I like them so much I kept them and reordered the pear. Haven't burned pear yet, but like the cold throw well enough. 

The Vanilla Spice is the bomb, in my book, and I'm going to watch for those to go on sale or as is to get more, as I've burned part of one of those, and am burning the peppermint one right now and really like it. So far, the pear is my least favorite, but will reserve judgement for after I do burn it!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the report on the other two, @Mominohio

Maybe instead of a return, I'll exchange for the vanilla spice.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I have been burning the "Over the River" for a few days now and there is no scent at all.  If you stick your nose into the candle (while it's out)  there is no scent either.  I will not be buying anything from him again.  My Bath & Body Shop candles are much better.  I love Balsam and Evergreen and theirs is very well scented.

Respected Contributor

I used to love Harry's candles, but I'll never buy them again. The scents definitely are hit/miss. So when I purchased a few duo scents last year, there were some I didn't like AT ALL. They also burned faster than my other quality candles (WAY faster). 

Trusted Contributor

The  ones I ordered last year were a big disappointment.  Took a chance on the White Birch this year at $12 each and was pleasantly surprised.  Has a nice throw and burns at about the same speed as my B+BW's candles.  That being said I do notice more soot when extinguising, perhaps because of the 4 wicks.

Respected Contributor

I love the Slatkin candles but they are actually a bit too fragranced for me. I can only use them for short periods of time. They fill my entire home and our home is not small.