Contributor

Re: Don't understand it, but since last Christmas I wanted to keep the spirit of Christmas in me for

I know what you mean.It's hard to explain.It takes me back when i was growing up.It's a special time of the year.A special kind of feeling.

Honored Contributor

Re: Don't understand it, but since last Christmas I wanted to keep the spirit of Christmas in me for

I retired at the end of 2012, and left my Christmas tree up all thru 2013.   I worked 16 years on night shift; every weekend and every holiday, including 15 Christmas Eves and 15 Christmas Days.   I can never make up that lost time with my girls, but enjoying my tree throughout the year with my family gave me a good feeling I truly enjoyed.

I left my Christmas tree up again in 2015; made it into May, and took it down a month before our kitchen remodel.  We didn’t expect to have to replace our subfloor, which created a dusty mess that luckily did not settle on the Christmas tree.

2017 was to be another year of enjoying the tree all year long; I was to have my knee surgery in April, and looked forward to recovering in the recliner near the glow of the tree.  An infection cancelled my surgery, and took months to clear up, so with great frustration I took the tree down.  

Holding onto that holiday spirit just gets into me at times as well, and I just hang on and ride it out!   I don’t feel the need to decorate early, or decorate heavily, my holiday spirit is attached to the Christmas tree.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

@Mominohio-

you described so many of the beautiful feelings and sentiments, happy and sad that descibe Christmas to meSmiley Happy

You should be a writer, honestly!

@on the bay @Mominohio

ONTHEBAY You are so right, MOMINOHIO said what so many feel, and said it so eloquently!!! Yes, she should be a writer!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

I understand what you are saying....what Charles Dickens said in the Christmas Carol says it all........

Charles Dickens
“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach!”
 Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I appreciate both the secular (the joy in the air, the music, the decorations, the lights, and special events---our group is not so much into gifts unless its giving to charities), but I also embrace the faith aspect of Christmas and the special candle light  evening service....

Respected Contributor

I am reading a Christmas book called The Christmas Note. Started it the other day. I have a collection of Christmas books that I have had for years. This one is different because the two women have hard lives for different reasons. When I think of Christmas and the memories I usually read one of my books. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I think I might have to skip fall and Halloween (which I love also)

and go straight into Christmas!

Bring it on Christmas!

Image result for Christmas scenes

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@qualitygal

I understand what you are saying....what Charles Dickens said in the Christmas Carol says it all........

Charles Dickens
“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach!”
 Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

I love it, you get it!! Heart

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

DH has kept the battery-operated candles in the front of the house going for nearly an entire two years!

He is the last person I would expect to do this! Two years ago was a magical time for us... the grands were here! We bought a pre-decorated large tree and had the works!

I believe there were many emotions going through him, and he wanted to keep them close inside.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio I just wanted to tell you that I thought your response was first-rate and beautifully expressed.

Not everyone has beautiful memories and expectations for the Christmas season, and of course not everyone sees it as a holy time, but for those of us who do, it is well and truly the best time of the year.