Honored Contributor

Re: Don't understand it, but since last Christmas I wanted to keep the spirit of Christmas in me for

I'm sorry I really don't know what you are talking about.  That could be because Christmas is my favorite time of the year; the decorations, the food, the friends, the shopping, the presents .  I love it all.  But that's secular Christmas, all of that is in no way related to the religious Christmas.  There are no candy canes and stalkings in my bible.  So, the spiritual part is always with me.  Not saying I'm perfect or uber religious!  I'm not.  I am a work in progress.    But we do go to church so that part of Christmas is always with us.  And I am fortunate in that I have a nice circle of friends and family and we see each other frequently and celebrate holidays and birthdays so we socialize all year, not just during the Christmas season.  I do understand that it isn't that way for everyone.  I understand that there are families that only get together at Christmas and maybe Thanksgiving so those holidays are super special for them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Don't understand it, but since last Christmas I wanted to keep the spirit of Christmas in me for

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  I understand what you mean. I don't think it's that complicated.

I always look forward to Christmas and am sad when it's over. If I had a very large home, I think I would have Christmas trees up all year long!!!! 

christmas-tree-animated-gif-32.gif

I wish people would still go carolling. If you watch old movies from the '40s and '50s, people would go carolling throughout the neighborhood...

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio-

you described so many of the beautiful feelings and sentiments, happy and sad that descibe Christmas to meSmiley Happy

You should be a writer, honestly!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

guess i'm in the minority........

Super Contributor

@qualitygal I understand completely, good for you! It's such a great feeling.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

for the whole year, as much as possible.  For some reason, the want, this whole year has been very strong in me.  I just really want to keep it within me.  It's very strong today.  Feels like I just really need it this year for some reason.  I've never held it so closely to myself before.  Does this make sense to anyone else?  I want the spirit in me of it. 

That's a sweet, wistful, poignant post, @qualitygal, and it makes sense to me.   You have a compassionate and kind heart -- this I know from reading your comments over time.😊

This quote captures my reaction to your original post:

"What is Christmas?   It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future.   It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace." ~Agnes Pahro

I often think if only we could embrace and act upon the positive spirit of Christmas (whether faith-based or not) all year, we would see society's problems more clearly and find better ways to fix them.   If only we could use these "Christmas gift" suggestions every day:  "Christmas gift suggestions:   To your enemy, forgiveness.   To an opponent, tolerance.   To a friend, your heart.   To a customer, service.   To all, charity.   To every child, a good example.   To yourself, respect." ~Oren Arnold

~❤️~

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo, Very well said, as always. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

I understand you perfectly QualityGal!  I feel the same way.  I am hugged and embraced by the beautiful meaning of Christmas and I do enjoy the celebretory decorations of Christmas too.  Riding in the car to view Christmas lights gives me an overwhelming feeling of joy.  It is very important to me to put lights outside to give this special feeling back to others.  Without saying a word, strangers know that I know and love the Lord.  Merry Christmas to everyone and keep it in your hearts,   Love SC

Honored Contributor

Who says we can’t live in the Christmas spirit all year long if we choose to.Ithink there are many kindnesses and much generosity throughout the year that qualify as that type of joyfulness....you can choose to live in that spirit every day of your life and make the world around you just a little bit kinder with your joy and good will.

Contributor

I know what you mean.It's hard to explain.It takes me back when i was growing up.It's a special time of the year.