Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone set up a Christmas Village?

@nataliesgramma  Your display is stunning and I appreciate/recognize the work you put into it.

I have about 37 pieces (+ accessories) of Dept. 56 Dicken's Village that haven't seen the light of day for 10 years.  I wish I knew of a good place to donate them (a church, etc.?) as the eBay prices are dismal and shipping would wipe out any profit, LOL.

I hate to just Freecycle them, but may have to, as I gave my mother's New England Village to one niece, and my sister has an extensive Snow Village that her daughter has no interest in.

Funny story, I used to set mine up on a 4 x 8 ft. plywood over card tables with the "snow", multiple levels, etc.  And had two cats.  (Yikes!)  Strangely enough they didn't bother with them which always amazed me.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Showed your beautiful set up picture to my husband yesterday and he thought that it was really nice! (I did hear him wisper, "a lot of work", LOL) It's worth it!!

Honored Contributor

Even though we don't do Christmas I did do the Christmas houses when my kids were little, have not put them out in years.  They were fun

I am thinking of getting rid of them, our town has a just set up a swap/barter Facebook group so I think I will try to see if there is any interest there.   I just gave some Halloween decorations away

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

GORGEOUS display!!  I have a few pieces of Dept. 56 Snow Village but like another poster haven't put it up for years.  It's a lot of time consuming work that I really don't have. For the last 8 years I have had an Etsy shop so I get super busy with orders in November and early December.

I do love the retro 40s through 60s look of Snow Village! At one point I told myself no more but I couldn't resist the American Bandstand pieces and just had to get it.  So now they sit in boxes in my basement.  I hope that one day my kids might want them when they have more room in houses of their own for storage. Right now they live in city apartments.

I agree that your display looks magazine worthy!  I LOVE the trees!!!  What gives them that white look in the branches?  Are they the snow look trees?  I need a new one. TIA!

I use white batting on those trees to look like snow....so much neater than using the snow flakes that make a mess....

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenmiss wrote:

Stunning! I do have about 8 pieces of Dep. 56 Dickens Village. I set it up every year, sometimes not all of them. Even then my grown up children are noticing the missing pieces. How do you get the different heights?  I use boxes, but sometimes they are a bit wobbly, especially if I place the pieces on buffalo snow.  Would be interested to know what base you are using.  Love the trees. Please let us know how to get this look.

I use the boxes from the houses , but I also bought sheets of styrofoam to lay on top of groups of the boxes to make it more stable...then I bought white fleece by the yard at JoAnns to look like snow. I is so much better than using the cottony stuff they sell for under a tree.

The smaller trees I use in the background are Alpine trees I got at Hobby lobby....I think it makes it look like a winter wonderland....

Esteemed Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@Nataliesgramma  Your display is stunning and I appreciate/recognize the work you put into it.

I have about 37 pieces (+ accessories) of Dept. 56 Dicken's Village that haven't seen the light of day for 10 years.  I wish I knew of a good place to donate them (a church, etc.?) as the eBay prices are dismal and shipping would wipe out any profit, LOL.

I hate to just Freecycle them, but may have to, as I gave my mother's New England Village to one niece, and my sister has an extensive Snow Village that her daughter has no interest in.

Funny story, I used to set mine up on a 4 x 8 ft. plywood over card tables with the "snow", multiple levels, etc.  And had two cats.  (Yikes!)  Strangely enough they didn't bother with them which always amazed me.

I have a rescue cat and 2 Maltese.....never had any of them bother it....LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone!!

I love doing it every year and I realize that there will be a day where it becomes too much to do....so I am going to go all out as much as I can before that day!

Super Contributor

Nataliesgramma,

What a stunning display!  I couldn't wait to show the photo to my niece.  She is eleven and one of the holiday traditions we share is that she comes over to put up the Christmas village with us.  We have a new home this year and so you are inspiring us!  I really treasure the time we spend together working on the display. 

Thank you also for sharing some of your tips.  So very beautiful!

ZsaZsa

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma,
Wow, that is gorgeous! Many year ago I did have a village I set up every year, but it did not hold a candle to yours. I eventually gave it to one of my daughters.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Oh my word! That is absolutely stunning!

For so many who say "well, I just don't bother"........THIS my dear is woth the "bother"!!

ITA with the Christmas Card idea. Would make a stunning photo on a card!