Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone set up a Christmas Village?

I got into doing a Christmas Village about 15 yrs ago when JoAnn Fabric had a bunch of beautiful ceramic ones on clearance for under $5. My collection has grown more and more every year especially with Dept 56.

It is alot of work, but I have alot of friends and family who like to come over an see it....especially the look on the face of the small children.

chv.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone set up a Christmas Village?

I used to set up a Dept. 56 Snow Village.  I haven't set it up in a long time though as I don't decorate that much anymore.  I loved to look at it though.  Now I'd like to try to sell them on ebay, but I haven't tried.  I wonder if they sell well.  I imagine they would be expensive to ship.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma  Your holiday decor and village reminds me of what you would see on a cover page of Better Homes and Gardens... Just spectacular!!  I too would love to see it in person.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have Valerie P-H, carolers, and a really nice nativity. Mom used to do a village, and now my sister has it. This year, I got a ceramic tree (has a star on top) and we found animals that live in the wild figurines, that are size appropriate, and I'll put that up on top of the entertainment center. There's 2 lights to shine down on it and I think it will be beautiful!

To add: found white paperish stuff to resemble snow that the tree and animals will stand on so it looks like a winter in the woods scene.

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I used to set up a Dept. 56 Snow Village.  I haven't set it up in a long time though as I don't decorate that much anymore.  I loved to look at it though.  Now I'd like to try to sell them on ebay, but I haven't tried.  I wonder if they sell well.  I imagine they would be expensive to ship.

My daughter has Dept. 56 Dickens Village.  She has a lot of it and a good amount of accessories.  However, the past few years she has only been putting out part of it.  It looks really nice, but it is a bit of work. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma -- Your Christmas Village is simply GORGEOUS!!

Do you ever take a photo of it and make it that years' Christmas card? Beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

I've seen you post this pic before, and I swear, it could be in a major magazine! So beautiful. And so much work. Must be a labor of love!

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I always wanted to start a village set, but never did. Now, I'm glad I didn't, because I know I'd not want to deal with it anymore. It is one of those things I coveted for a couple of decades, but now in hind sight, I'm glad I didn't make the investment. 

Love to look at other people's though!

Honored Contributor

GORGEOUS display!!  I have a few pieces of Dept. 56 Snow Village but like another poster haven't put it up for years.  It's a lot of time consuming work that I really don't have. For the last 8 years I have had an Etsy shop so I get super busy with orders in November and early December.

I do love the retro 40s through 60s look of Snow Village! At one point I told myself no more but I couldn't resist the American Bandstand pieces and just had to get it.  So now they sit in boxes in my basement.  I hope that one day my kids might want them when they have more room in houses of their own for storage. Right now they live in city apartments.

I agree that your display looks magazine worthy!  I LOVE the trees!!!  What gives them that white look in the branches?  Are they the snow look trees?  I need a new one. TIA!

Contributor

Stunning! I do have about 8 pieces of Dep. 56 Dickens Village. I set it up every year, sometimes not all of them. Even then my grown up children are noticing the missing pieces. How do you get the different heights?  I use boxes, but sometimes they are a bit wobbly, especially if I place the pieces on buffalo snow.  Would be interested to know what base you are using.  Love the trees. Please let us know how to get this look.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely Stunning!! I have the New England Village from Dept. 56 and I love it. I sometimes set it all up and other times just pick a few pieces to put out with some other things.