Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Your Husband Help You Decorate?

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop 

I can feel the disappointment in your words...and I get it.

Maybe you have a visual of your husband happily helping, but, I have found it was rarely that way.  While DH would set up the tree, he wasn't all that into the details of decorating.

Oh, he enjoyed it once it was all done, but....I'm not sure how much he noticed really.  I would spend hours on assembling fresh greens, Victorian decor and every detail made perfect down to the bathrooms!  There were countless bins of decorations and holiday items.  

There was a time I did a 10ft tree that was on a rotating stand.  It took me days to decorate and was exhausting.  Of course, we enteratined a lot at the holidays, so I didn't mind.

We are older now, and I've cut way back on decorating.

Flash forward to the last few years.  I have a 3 ft. tabletop tree that stays decorated with tiny lights and ornaments.  It will be brought down from my craft room and plugged in.

Decorating done.

While not my idealized version of Christmas, it will have to do.  You know, the one where DH happily helps with every detail and doesn't get cranky when I don't listen to his suggestions.  Then, he makes hot chocolate and we build a fire and admire our work.

If DH wants more, he can say so and then help.

I don't expect he will.

On the other hand, I can count on him for a myriad of other things, so that's the trade off for me.

Trusted Contributor

No husband. Had one once, gave him back. When I had him he didn't help with much of anything. He was so traumatized in childhood by his grandfather's death 10 days before Christmas that the holiday was not celebrated or enjoyed from that point forward. I did not know the extent of this so imagine my surprise to have a pouty, brooding spouse at one of the most joyous times of the year. So I did all the decorating by myself and enjoyed the holiday in spite of him.

Super Contributor

My husband is a total "Bah-Humbug"!  Has been since day one.

I absolutely love everything about Christmas, & will never let him spoil it for me.  I do, & always have done it all, loving every minute.

Honored Contributor

DH does the outside; I do the inside.

We get two real trees. DH puts them up and decorates them; I "undecorate" and put ornaments away; DH puts lights away and puts trees out back next to our bird feeders and heated bird bath for our birdies to play in!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

You know it is interesting.  He doesn't want to decorate "too early" but today he totally got the spirit.  We're together 34 years & though we had started to cut back the past few     years, this year we are going whole hog.  He put up 3/4 of our big Snow Village scene today himself and I confess I had to pop a couple aspirin to not get irritable.  Now, tonight, totally enjoying it & it's so worth it. He is a good man.

Honored Contributor

If I need his help with something, like hanging a wreath or a swag.  Taking boxes from our storage locker, putting them back.  He happily does all of that but I do the decorating.  My nephew and his wife and daughter are living here until the Covid 19 thing is over.  So, the three of us girls did the decorating.  

Honored Contributor

I do most of the decorating myself. DH helps bring the tree up from the basement & assembles it. Before we had a pre lit tree he strung the lights on the tree. He will help if I ask him for an extra hand to put up long garlands or something heavy. We don’t put anything outside except a wreath and ribbons on the front door and lights fixtures which I do myself. I’m perfectly ok with doing most of it myself. 

Trusted Contributor

He does the outside lights and helps set up the tree inside.   I do all the decorating on the inside which I do not mind.   It works for us for over 50 years now!!Woman Wink

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My husband brings the bins down from the attic, including 2 Christmas trees.  A 12 foot and 7 1/2 foot.  I decorate only one of the trees, the 7 1/2 foot.  The 12 foot is too tall.  I also decorate the inside of the house.  Family room fireplace area and my dining room table.  He tackles the oustide lights and putting out some things like a 7 foot Santa.  He does help with putting garland on staircase but opted not to do that this year.

Respected Contributor

Husband has never been interested in Christmas decorating. After 40 years together he just asked why we don't get rid of all the tubs. I tried to donate our 4 ft tree but Goodwill said they wouldn't take it. Overstocked.