Trusted Contributor

Does Your Husband Help You Decorate?

My husband helped decorate when we were young, not any more.  He saw that I had all of the Rubbermaid tubs out of the basement today and he said something like - oh my.....and about 10 minutes later he said he's going for a ride on the motorcycle so he "will not get in my way".  After I heard that, I lost interest and only put up about 1/3 of the decorations and just quit.  Do your husbands help you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Your Husband Help You Decorate?

Absolutely! He brings up the artificial trees and decorates both our upstairs and downstairs trees. I hand him the ornaments and let him work his magic. We rearrange the furniture because I like the tree in different places each year, and he helps with that.

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop  So sorry your DH bailed on you. DH & I decided about 3 years ago that we weren't going to decorate anymore.

My DH is always willing to help around the house.When he sees me struggling to do something alone he always runs over to help.He always tells me to ask him & not attempt to do everything myself.

Maybe if you spoke to your husband & asked for assistance  he would help. 

Respected Contributor

The past couple years I ditched the big tree with lots of ornaments and now have a very small tree. When we did do the large tree my husband only helped when I told him I needed help.  Now with the small tree it is so easy it really doesn’t need two people and I can put it up myself. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My DH puts up the tree and the outside lights.  I decorate the house and DDs decorate the tree.

Esteemed Contributor

When the kids were little, and even later when I used to decorate, he went and got the tree (a real one), helped lug decorations out of the attic, and he put the lights on.  I took it from there.

If you are asking if he clapped his hands and jumped up and down saying oh goodie, it's time to decorate, that would be a no.

I think he was tickled pink when I bagged the whole tree and decorate the house thing 20 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

No husband here. DS & DDIL hauled up 8 bins and boxes from the basement on Thanksgiving, which helped a lot.

My FIL was all about Christmas, maybe because he grew up an only child and enjoyed having a slightly larger family as an adult. My Dad wanted nothing to do with decorating! Mom did the mantel, I did the tree and we both did the outside lights.

I have 2 young adult sons. Each takes after one of their grandfathers.. The Grinch DS dodged a bullet: he will be traveling from the 19th - 1/3 so no decorating for him.

I need to put ornaments on the tree. All other decorating indoors & out is done as is gift wrapping. Waiting for just a few more items to be delivered next week.

I need to finish the tree tomorrow so I can clean the house and then get started on the cookies.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know there are exceptions, but I don't know of a single male in my family that likes to decorate the interior....outside lights and wreaths seem to be ok though. Personally, my DH isn't physically able to help me any longer. He used to if I asked him, but if I got started on my own, he would do his own thing. I no longer have a big tree and only put a few holiday things out, along with a small ceramic tree. I'm happy with that!

Honored Contributor

My ex did ALL the decorating interior & exterior except for the tree.  All I did was sit down somewhere while drinking margaritas mumbling instructions. 

Our children decorated the tree.  Again I'm sitting somewhere sipping margaritas but w/a chessy cat smile & ex is barking out instructions drinking Heineken.  Only he puts the star at the top of tree because he was 6'3.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Yes, he helps.  He enjoys the outside decor more than the inside I think.  He loves Christmas though so he likes to participate!