Honored Contributor

Does Your Family (Or You) Hang Christmas Stockings?

Do you or your family hang Christmas stockings?

When our sons were babies I got the felt stocking kits and made our family the stockings, sewing all of the sequins, padding all of the pieces.  The stockings held goodies over the years.  

My Christmas decorating became slightly more formal, and the stockings are in a box now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Your Family (Or You) Hang Christmas Stockings?

WhenI was growing up we never had stockings, it just wasn't part of our tradition. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

No, I have never had a Christmas  stocking in my life. We never have had a fireplace either.  No place to hang them.

Respected Contributor

When my kids were little I did.  I spent more time on the stockings than I did on presents.  Now we do stockings for the dogs.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I grew up with having stockings (under the tree, not hung) at Christmas and I have them for my children now.

Honored Contributor

I never had them as a kid, but I always did them once mine were born!

Don't hang them though....one year we forgot and DH built a fire...melted all the candy!

Now they are just too heavy to hang!  I put too much in I guess!

Honored Contributor

I did as a kid and we started doing it for the immedite family in the 1980's but figured out we were dropping at least at least $20 on junk for all six people who come for Christmas Eve.  We stopped!  Woman Embarassed

Super Contributor

Absolutely, we do! I've never had a Christmas without stockings! Plus, each of our pets has his/her own stocking, as well. HeartHeartHeart

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Valued Contributor

When I was little we would hang stockings (ours were red velvet with white fur around the top and had our names done in red embrodery in the fur), guess they are now packed away with other Christmas items that don't get put out.

Respected Contributor

My MIL made my husband and I the most beautiful stockings for our first Christmas. They were hand made with sequined names and adornments. They are black velvet with red satin lining and exquisite keepsakes. She made one for our son when he was born. We use them every year.  The stockings are holding up better than we are.