Honored Contributor

Do you use "Bill to . . . Ship to" a lot at the holidays?

I'm last minute, as always. DH's family's packages all have to be mailed, and they all go to different addresses. We don't draw names. I wish we did. His sisters (he's the only boy) decided we would do it one year a long time ago and it was great. The next year they didn't want to. Because we live far away I end up spending more on shipping packages than I do buying them!

We tried it this year for his great-nephew's birthday. I had bought the toy - a Fisher Price truck. But when I found out how much it would cost to mail it, I went on Amazon, found the same truck at a better price, and they shipped it free! I felt a little bad since it wouldn't be wrapped, but he's 2. I don't think he cares. 

I'm thinking of doing the same this year for Christmas for 2 of his sisters and all of the  great nieces and nephews (all very young). I send gift cards to the 18 - 35 year olds, and I've already picked up gifts for one sister and his fourth sister's widower. The family keeps growing. The only problem I have is the gifts won't be wrapped. IDK how I feel about that.

Do any of you do this? Would you mind getting a gift this way? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you use "Bill to . . . Ship to" a lot at the holidays?

I send things to my cousin in another city every Christmas.  But, I buy from QVC and use "bill to ship to" every time.  I use it for other people also if I don't want to take it personally.  I also receive these kind of gifts and don't mind if they aren't  wrapped.  What's the point, they rip off the paper anyway.  I've always believed it's not what or how it's wrapped, it's that someone thought of you in kindness.

Trusted Contributor

You can send mine this way!! I don't mind!! Smiley Wink THANKS!!! 

Seriously, I think it's a good idea to help handle your shopping and shipping to your family! Season's Greetings!

Respected Contributor

I do it all the time for both birthdays and holidays, as my family lives in another state. Likewise, they do the same for my gifts. 

Some companies are better than others about it. Amazon and QVC "gift options" box that sends a gift receipt with no prices and allows you to include a message so the recipient knows who the gift was from and why it was sent. It works well in both cases. The tracking information shows up on my orders page, so I can track the order and let the person know what day it might arrive.

Some companies don't have any gift option and you get all kinds of results. Sometimes a package arrives with a statement including all of the items packaged and the costs and totals, but no name or information about the person who ordered it. Other times you get the statement with all that information and the name of the sender. It varies by company.

Honored Contributor

We send gifts to my husband's family up in ME and I absolutely always use bill too-ship-to and the gift wrap thing never even occurred to me.  They are all adults, they know there is no Santa Claus.  His nephew has a baby this year so wrapping isn't an issue there either.  When the niece and nephew were kids, I did send their gifts to my mail and I asked her to gift wrap them for the kids.  I am the queen of gift wrapping but it isn't possible when I'm do the bill to-ship too.  I'm not going to do the post office thing just so I can send presents that are gift wrapped.  

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom  I have done this and find no one has objected to lack of gift dressing....after all they have to open boxes or mailers anyway.

Honored Contributor

I think it is a very good idea to just have gifts shipped to the home of the recipient. It saves you time and money.  I never have had anyone complain that it wasn't wrapped.

i sent my sister K-pods directly from Keurig.  They arrived right before I visited her home.  In fact, I carried them in for her.  I was disappointed that there was no card or mention as to who sent them.  I did fill out the info saying it was a gift and added a message, but it wasn't included with the package.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used 'bill to, ship to' often and have never had a problem with it!!  I do warn the receivers that a package will be coming so that they will be on the look out for it!

Honored Contributor

I'd order items and let the postal wrappings be the surprise!  Children love to get mail!!!

Super Contributor

My two sisters and I live in 3 different states. I have used QVC's Bill to Ship to for years for their birthday and Christmas gifts. They love it and I love it.