Honored Contributor

Re: Do you still send out Christmas cards?

Definitely.  I'm also an artist (aside from my paying-the-bills-job) and I conceive and paint a different image every year, and then print the cards from it.  I do love texts and emails in everyday life, but I also still love the printed card or note.  In fact, I haven't purchased any greeting cards in about 5 years. 

Last year, my [now] 89 year old mother gave me the idea for the Christmas card.  When they were printed, the back of the card said "Designed by Xxxx Xxxxx."  She didn't know she had given me the idea so it was a surprise; she got such a thrill out of that!  I only buy gifts for immediate family, but I send out about 85 to 90 cards every year.

Honored Contributor

@TaylorBrown  A girl after my own Hallmark heart!!!  I may not send out many cards but I do the same thing.  My cards MUST be the very best, saying the most perfect wish for the Christmas season.

I love going to Hallmark Cards and just read tons of them.  They make me laugh, they bring tears to my eyes.  But my cards always are beautiful and fit the occasion by saying very meaningful words. 

Trusted Contributor

I do not send them out anymore.  I feel like I should, but they somehow seem unnecessary nowadays, and for one reason - Facebook. I am friends on Facebook with all my old college and highschool friends, distance relatives, etc.  We "Like" each other's photos, regularly comment on each other's life events, and generally keep in close contact on a daily basis.  While sending out Christmas cards is a tradition in itself, the content of those cards usually contains a letter that I would use to talk about the events of the past year.  So, while it is a lovely tradition, and it is nice to receive and give them, they just don't feel necessary anymore.  I know that everyone doesn't have Facebook, by the way, so I do acknowledge that for many, it might still be a helpful form of communication.

Respected Contributor

I love sending cards not only for Christmas, but for other holidays, too.  It's a good way for me to stay in touch with out-of-state family and friends.  I write a short note in each card usually about the weather or something interesting that I've seen lately.  Nobody I know uses Facebook, so that's not an option.

Honored Contributor

I still send them. I hate for all traditions to fall by the wayside. I bought my cards a few weeks ago. I like to send cards made by a company called Odd Balls cards from Arkansas. I send out just under 60 cards. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always sent out cards execept one year we moved out of state right before the holidays then made the trip right back for the holidays so I did my entire Christmas card list as Valentine's Day cards that year.(1986)

But last year I had had enough so I only sent out cards to the ones I received and this year I am sure will be less.  My cards were always mailed out the day before Thanksgiving so most friends and family got theirs on that week-end.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Absolutely I do.  I search for next years cards at the after season sales.  I send cards to whomever I want to reguardless because reciprocation is not the point.   I especially  make sure to send to family who won't get home.  A card is a visible reminder that someone is thinking of you without any electronics involved.  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I send real cards and some cards I send online.

For online cards, I love the Jacquie Lawson site.  The artwork is outstanding.  Every year the site offers an online Advent calendar for just a few dollars.  It's so beautiful, different every year, and each day leads to a small activity or adventure.

A Visit from St. Nicholas

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I do still send Christmas cards out, but the number dwindles each year. So many traditions seem to be falling by the wayside due to everyone's hectic schedules, etc. Kind of sad really.
"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

I still send Christmas cards, but not as many as in years past. So many friends and family members have died, and when the cost of postage increased, I became more selective as to who got a card. I enjoy receiving them, but most of my friends stopped sending them. They prefer the convenience of online or Facebook greetings. I am not on Facebook and prefer a personal greeting in the mail. It may take a bit of effort, but it is a holiday tradition I enjoy.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson