Honored Contributor

Re: Do you purge old decorations before or after?

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Big Joanie wrote:

@Jasmine19 wrote:

E42763B8-3DB5-40FB-90A7-FA1BD0AC514D.jpeg

Oh no .. that's so sad .....

@Big Joanie  and @Jasmine19 That's exactally what I feel when I look at the old and worn ornaments. I just have to put them out somewhere!

@PA Mom-mom Maybe they'll be part of a young familie's home!  A lot of people also buy old ornaments to cover wreaths.

See the source image

Honored Contributor

I got rid of anything I wasn't interested in putting out again, last Fall. Right now, I have everything I'm keeping for this Christmas boxed up and labeled. 

Honored Contributor

Someone else is enjoying the "decorations" for the seasons I have enjoyed for several years, but, I didn't need most of the excess.

I have trashed things over 10 years old (and most were without any meaning) -- its a freeing feeling to only pack 4 containers vs. 9!

and now I'm working on my Valentines, St. Pats, and my obsession Easter ... the bunnies multiple in the containers!!! lol

Honored Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

@Jasmine19   So sad, Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I do it before the holiday so I can take it to Goodwill and they are able to sell it. Yesterday I took a box of valentines decor over and they were so happy. It is far enough in advance that they will be able to sell. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Big Joanie wrote:

@Jasmine19 wrote:

Oh no .. that's so sad .....

@Big Joanie  and @Jasmine19 That's exactally what I feel when I look at the old and worn ornaments. I just have to put them out somewhere!

@Jasmine19 

@Big Joanie

@PA Mom-mom 

What is it about those ornaments?

I have lots that are very sentimental. 

Then I have many that I picked up second hand, many years ago when I worked in thrifts stores, and though we have used them for decades, I really don't (shouldn't) have an emotional attachment to them. Every year, I try to move on at least a half dozen of them, because there is just more than I will ever use. But when I do pull them out for the donate pile, I feel guilty and a little sad. Like I'm throwing out a  piece of my history! LOL

I will say it is getting easier to part with a few more every year. And I do feel sorry for the ones left in the box that don't get used. 

I'm sure I need therapy, if not for this, for a lot of other stuff! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  I'm such a sap. I was going to reply to you about the ornaments I'm keeping, but I started to tear up. We need to form a group to get special therapy rates! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom 

@Mominohio 

May I join the support group? I feel bad when I see an abandoned lamp at the curb!

Respected Contributor

The 1st Monday of the month we have Big Trash where we put out anything. We know to put it out to the curb on Sat. morning before the Monday and I have put stuff out there and it is gone in a few hrs. So glad someone is picking it up & reusing it. Neighbors know put it out Saturday morning & hope someone can use it. As for clothes & decorations we donate to charity. So many crafty people spray paint ornaments & reuse. I always ask DD 1st do you want this or that before rather her get it. We are retired and don't need alot of things that is taking up space in my house. Yes, hate to part with some things but I also know I will never use it.  

Honored Contributor

Depends on the items. Xmas lights get tossed when they don't work so if they die when we plug the in (we test before going on the tree), out they go and we buy new ones. If they start to dull while on the tree, they get tossed after coming off.

Ornaments stay UNLESS they break. We don't buy ornaments now, stopped 20 plus years ago. We has the basic and that was fine. As we had children, they would make ornaments and they are what we place on the tree. Or, they would purchase one for us and that goes on the tree. Today, our tree is decorated with what they made, what we brought from our own homes, what we bought for each other when we first married or where given to us. There is no way I'd ever throw them out. The boys have asked if they can take some when they move out for their own tree and that's when they'll leave my house.

Other stuff goes when it looks ratty. If it's something we purchased but never used or was a gift, I take it to GoodWill. This all happens when we start to decorate as well as when we are putting things away. I don't look at it again until the next year.