Respected Contributor

Do you keep the shipping packages for storage?

I just put out a bunch of my fall decorations. Several sets of Valerie's latest MG pumpkins, the illuminated wax stacking pumpkins, etc. I am debating whether or not to keep the styrofoam and boxes that they came in (which seem to take up a lot of room) or store them another way. Maybe wrap in tissue paper or bubble wrap and put them in a plastic bin?

I'm going to have the same issue when I out out my new Christmas decorations packages the same way.

What do you all do?
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you keep the shipping packages for storage?

I do in some cases. Years ago QVC had a TSV of Radko ornaments. I saved the shipping box all these years. I do the same with some of my kitchen applicances. I have the original boxes for both of my mixers for example. It something is delicate I will save the packaging and store it in it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I could see where it would be helpful, but I don't keep the boxes.  I store things on shelves.  If you have room, why not keep the boxes since you'll be putting things in another box.

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of Valerie's spheres and pedestals that I switch out during the year. I keep some on an upstairs bookcase, but some are wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in Rubbermaid. DH hates the cardboard boxes and tries to throw them away shortly after they arrive (but we do have a lot of them!). Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

If your item is truly a "collectible" the box is important if you ever wanted to resell it  ie  Jim Shore. 

I also keep the packaging boxes for items that don't fit into a plastic bin, everything else is stored with wrapping in tissue or newspaper works too.   Usually that type of wrap gets replaced every year anyway or it starts to smell.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I'll just keep the boxes for awkward items and wrap the other items in paper and put them in a Rubbermaid bin. I'm tired of walking in the spare bedroom and feeling like I'm in a warehouse surrounded by cardboard boxes.

I got my very first Jim Shore piece - Santa and Rudolph. I'll save that box too.
Honored Contributor

I used to save the boxes for a lot of things, but last year scaled that back to just the more delicate things. 

When unpacking fall items this year, I decided to dump 99% of the packaging, even for MG and mosaic glass. I will simply put them in tubs with a little padding. It should save a significant amount of room.

Last year at Christmas pack up time, I decided to store items from each room, in that room in trunks or ottomans that were already there. To accomplish this, I dumped the boxes, and I was able to store a lot of thing in a much smaller space. 

Honored Contributor

I save the styrofoam for very fragile items, and sometimes the cardboard box, but DH said to stop it as there is hardly any room left in the storeroom, lol.  What I have to stop is buying so much.Smiley Happy