Honored Contributor

Do you have any annual Memorial Day rituals or events?

It will be here before we know it!

We decorate all the graves of the people who have passed in our family that weekend. We go to about 6 different cemeteries and each year I make up a different kind of vase or planter to place on each grave. Some of our graves go back well into the 1800's. I always took my son so he will remember the importance of the day, as well as where the various members of our family are buried. 

One year I used empty soup/vegetable cans (label removed) and placed dirt and some marigolds inside, and tied a matching ribbon around the can.

Another year, I saved empty jars and put water in them with blue food coloring, then placed some greens with red and white carnations in them. Again tied a matching ribbon on the jar. 

My goal is to not have to go back and pick up anything, but simply let the grounds keepers dispose of them when the date for removal has passed.

We enjoy the time spent doing this as a family, gives us time to reflect, and we retell as much history and information about those ancestors each time, in an effort to keep them alive for us, and those who never got the chance to meet/know them.

Does anyone else have any regular rituals or events they attend for Memorial Day?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you have any annual Memorial Day rituals or events?

@Mominohio.   Thank you for this.  It brought back memories for me.   For many many years I would help my grandmother do the same thing.  We also included long ago special friends of her and Grandpa.   She passed in 1995 5 months before her 101 birthday.    I really miss her.   After all these years I have a hard time finding back beyond my grandparents.    The cemeteries have grown so fast that last year's maps aren't to good.   I only do 5 as they are spread miles apart and I do it alone.   I try to be done by Memorial Day.   The 2 closest to my home I visit more often.   Visits bring tears and beautiful memories that will last forever if He is willing.  My father passed of altzheimers.

Respected Contributor

I put flags out, but that's all.

Esteemed Contributor

Without question, an American Flag.  We may BBQ as we've done so many times in the past. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

The flag will be out flyin'...Ina Garten's awesome flag cake will be once again made as in the past 8 years.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband works such a funky schedule that he often works most holidays', but the week of Memorial Day we visit my Dad's grave and leave flowers, my Mom is buried in another state but we join hands and pray for her.

My parents were big on family celebrations so whenever my husband has time off that week, we have a BBQ (even if it is just the two of us), and toast to my parent's and the memories we hold in our hearts!

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop I have made this cake (except I use Strawberries) for at least 15 years every Fourth Of July.

Honored Contributor

I do remember when I was a kid Memorial Day was for decorating the graves of loved ones and for honoring deceased veterans.  But somewhere along the way, it morphed into a picnic, cookout, amusement park day for most people.  No, we never had any Memorial Day traditions.  It was and still is a fun day. 

Esteemed Contributor

We decorate the graves of family members.....fly the flag....relax with family...

I also learned from the Vetern of WW II Normandy......Flags should be flown at half staff until NOON on Memerial Day....to honor the dead....then raised  to celebrate the living...

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma I have never heard that, thank you!