Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a special ornament or one with a special meaning?

@turtlelgk wrote:

I have five ornaments that were on the tree when I was little girl. My dad would come home with different ones every year. They are so special. One is plastic and has a spinner in the middle. One night Ilooked up and it was turning slightly. Told DH to look and he said it was the heat that made it move. It was not near the heat. To me it was a special moment.

What a wonderful story! I believe!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Not an ornament but some tiny blue ceramic blue shoes that have been handed down through the years.

My great-great grandmother brought them with her when she came from Ireland.  My great-great grandfather was from Scotland.  I never heard how they met but they married and came together to America.  My great-great grandmother was what my mother (her family) called "a horse woman".  She competed in riding back in Ireland and loved the horse she had to leave behind she named her first daughter after the horse!  Ha!

I was lucky enough to get the shoes.  A big deal in our family.  My mother carefully handed them to me to put in my china cabinet because she said she knew I'd take care of them and pass them down to one of my children.  I think I'm going to give them to either the youngest daughter or the middle daughter.  They both realize how important the past is.

Frequent Contributor

For my grandson's 1st Christmas (1995) I got him a rocking horse ornament for the tree. Every year after I added another rocking horse ornament. He died in 2012 at the age of 16 but every year theres another rocking horse ornament for his own personal tree.

Also I have my mother's ornament that was on her 1st christmas tree 101 years ago. It's a horse made out of horse hair with about 6 hairs left in his tail but I love it.