Respected Contributor

Do you have a problem with out door thieves?

[ Edited ]

We have had several news stories of people stealing the flowers out of flowerbeds especially city or businesses. A garden shop that makes huge hanging planters to sell, mainly to businesses or churches, say they have planters stolen at night.  I have stopped putting pots of flowers out front since dog walkers think it is acceptable to let their pet ****** on them. Very discouraged. I no longer put holiday lights, etc. out front.

do you have this problem?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a problem with out door thieves?

I personally have not had anything taken from my yard, but I've read of this on my Next Door account.  That is why I am hesitant to purchase the TSV lanterns.  I think they would look nice on my front porch, but they seem too easy for someone to just pick up and take off with. 

Honored Contributor

No thank goodness. 

Honored Contributor

I can't say I noticed any problems. In fact I think the Christmas displays are getting bigger and more elaborate each year. 

It seems like many people are doing displays for every holiday. Even changing the colors of the decorative lights they put up for each holiday. We decorate for Halloween and Christmas, that is enough for me. When I look at the neighbor's houses, I can't believe the effort they put into decorating their houses.

And today I noticed many exceptional displays of flowers. I was wondering what they did to make them look so nice. My flower bed is nice looking but theirs are beautiful.

Respected Contributor

My parents cannot put anything in their front yard that isn't bolted down because it will be stolen.  Nothing has been dug up from the yard...yet.  

Super Contributor

My neighbor across the street had her garden flag stolen and I had my solar lights taken from my flower bed several years ago.  We both replaced them.  I haven't had any problems with Christmas decorations, but then I just have a wreath on the door and some string lights.  

Honored Contributor

No but it has happened in the neighborhood. A house a few doors down had a nice bench on their front porch & someone stole it.

They bought another one to replace it but they bolted it down to the concrete. So far nobody has used bolt cutters to steal it.

I have 5 plants in pots on the front porch plus a large hanging basket.

I have 10 plants in pots out back plus 4 hanging baskets out back.

Honored Contributor

I haven't had the problem yet - knock on wood.  But it's a wonder such theft doesn't happen more often.  It's so easy to sell things on Craigslist and social media, and those who need money quickly could be tenpted.

Regular Contributor

My boss went on vacation and when she arrived home, two bushes in her front yard and been dug up!  It is crazy that people do such things.

Trusted Contributor

Our biggest problem here is porch pirates.  My solution to the problem: 4 ft. high wrought iron fence and 2 dogs.