Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have a problem with out door thieves?

I've been surprised, but no, and I have some things I'd hate to lose out in the yard.

For awhile it helped that the shady types next door knew I'd finger them immediately if anything came up missing.

Now some new homes are being built, which will be very nice - not sure if that helps or hurts.  The new ones could be targeted.

I think for awhile there was mailbox theft going on.  Word got around and I figured out who it was and I again, put my own word out - you touch mine, well, we'll see.  And I am true to my word.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, therefore I don’t put anything important to me outside.   Someone stole the hot dog keeper from Tupperware out of my mailbox which was in there to keep the mail dry.    

Honored Contributor

@traveler 

I’ve heard about it happening in my town a few times. I won’t put anything outside for fear it would be stolen. I haven’t had mail or packages delivered to my residence for many years and I know it is safer this way. 

Esteemed Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

Our biggest problem here is porch pirates.  My solution to the problem: 4 ft. high wrought iron fence and 2 dogs.

A man who had camers on his porch would catch the thieves but they didn't get caught by the law enforcement. 

His solution - He would put boxes addressed to him with a non-existant return address on them.  Inside, he collected dog poop and put it in plastic zip locks. 

The thieves would retur while he was at work, take the boxes and after that never returned. 

Of course, if he had another set of thieves return, he'd have to make the same effort.   

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I haven't had a problem yet.   I bought a larger lantern from a Valerie show and then decided not to put it on my front porch.  Bought the recent TSV of the two Candle Impressions lanterns.  Even though the two cost almost as much as the larger one, I have put them on my front porch and kept the larger (and nicer) one for inside.    

Frequent Contributor

Yes. We used to have jumbo pots of geraniums out in the front of our house along the driveway. One night two were stolen. The following night, two more taken. We moved the last one to our back yard and haven't put any in the front of our home currently. They were beautiful and added to our home's curbside appearance.

Honored Contributor

I have not had anything stolen.  I live on a corner and have large urns in the flower bed there.  During the Holidays we all have decorations on our front porches.  No reports of porch pirates or stolen mail in our area.