Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a gift closet?

@Winkk wrote:

I don't.  My definition of a gift closet is to have gifts on hand in case someone drops by unexpectedly and you can give them something.

I never have anyone just drop by.  I have the same people to buy for every year and there are no surprises. 

This!  I have to chuckle when the hosts recommend this.   No one drops by unexpectedly, and if they did I certainly would not give them a gift!  

What crazy world do these people live in?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would never drop by unexpectedly to anyone's house let alone expect them to give me a gift. So with that thought in mind I would not expect someone to just drop by my house either and expect to receive a gift. 

Honored Contributor

I never really thought of my gift stash as being for drop by visitors. It was more for gifting occasions that would arise, and having something on hand already, at a great price, and being able to use it or add it to a predetermined gifting occasion.

The only time I needed one of those 'drop in' visitor type of gifts was when we were inviting a number of my husband's relatives over near the holidays. One of the men showed up with his new girlfriend, who we didn't know or know that she was coming. We had planned and wrapped gifts for everyone but her. I was glad I had a really nice candle and topper done up and in a gift bag just for such an occasion. I would have felt bad if everyone had something to open except her. 

Honored Contributor

No; I have never felt the need to have a stash of gifts.   

Honored Contributor

My mother does.  She's very active in her church and at 89 still teaches Sunday School.  There are always children and some adults that come to church for the first time (or after being gone a very long while) during the Christmas season.  The ones that show up during the Christmas pageant always get a gift, along with the "regulars."  It's not so much her gift closet as her large gift tote bag.  She does this for the senior citizens at the center as well, since someone is bound to show up who never came before.

So who buys her these little gifts for folks (since what she does NOT do is shop any longer) -- my sister and I, and we just send them to her in the mail or bring them with us when we visit several times throughout the year.  I usually bring a box of items after the New Year for the next Christmas. 

Contributor

I have a small tote of cards and small items that I have found for great buys.  They are  not for strangers that "just stop in."  It is things that I pick up during the year to tuck back for those I do buy for or to have on hand for church functions, a parenting group I run, and my children being invited to a birthday party.  Honestly, where I am from, people just bring food when they come over and vice-versa.

Esteemed Contributor

We no longer keep a gift closet for adult needs.  We just don't have unexpected guests during the holidays and prefer to buy a gift with the recipient in mind.

We do have small gifts on hand for our grandchildren, though.  Have a stock of books, art supplies, cute little toys, stickers, etc., to give to the little ones when they come to visit or when we visit them.  

Respected Contributor

We host a holiday dinner for our large extended family.  I never know in advance who might be bringing a friend, so I keep a few generic items wrapped and ready for those guests...just little things like a holiday CD or a box of cookies or candy.  I don't want anyone to feel left out or unwelcome.

Trusted Contributor

No gift closet here.  We have a very small circle of family and friends and everyone I intend to buy a present for is accounted for. No one I know, family or friend, just drops by unannounced and brings people with them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a gift closet of sorts and have for many, many years. It's not necessarily because someone might "stop by" and I've not gotten them a gift. When I see a good buy on something or bogo's, I often purchase and tuck the items away. It could end up being for a birthday, hostess gift, new neighbor, or whatever. Love sales !

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein