Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a gift closet?

I use to, but one day said "This is nuts"...I need the space.  So, I called the organization "Woman Escaping Violence" and at Christmas time donated everything to them.  It was freeing to me and very much appreciated by them. 

Honored Contributor

No. I think the whole gift giving thing is way out of hand. There is no reason to give everyone and anyone a gift.  Some of these gifts just end up going in someone else's closet and are regifted or never used. I would rather give the gift of my time to a friend or bake them something rather than give them another piece of "stuff".  We stopped buying for friends and family members many years ago. We give to charities all year round, but we give more at the holiday season since we don't buy gifts. 

Honored Contributor

No not for any occasion as I don't gift much anymore. In fact, I dont think I've ever had a "gift closet". In fact, just donated about 10 barely used holiday wrapping paper, bows, etc.

My circle of friends go out to a movie and dinner in lieu of gifting for special occasions - we pay for their portion.

And my family prefers ca$h in a card -- easy!

Honored Contributor

No, I do not have a gift closet. I do always have a journal on hand for a neighbor who loves getting them for her birthday and Christmas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No---have a very small planned gift list (relatives and friends and I agreed to cut back on giving gifts or restrict gifting to a small token gift or charity donation.)  And I also give gifts to a couple of co-workers. So gifts I purchase fit in a shopping bag.  I wrap them and keep them in the bag until planned guests arrive, or for delivery----away from my cats who love to tear open packages and chew on bows......Cat Very Happy

I do give to a few charities and do give an extra tip to my hair stylist....A couple of neighbors get a Christmas card and some cookies. BUT I do not give gifts to the garbage collecter, butcher, baker, and candlestick maker as the QVC hosts suggest---

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

As a matter of fact, I had my contractor customize one for me, with shelves of different heights for all the Waterford crystal, Ripka jewelry, Eclissi watches, Luminara candles, and so much more.  I'd have to post my whole spreadsheet of gift items organized by age, gender, interests, and even profession of the intended recipients to give you a true picture.

Here is an example of some of my pre-wrapped gifts.  My personal assistant is an excellent wrapper, don't you think?  I always tell her to help herself to whichever gift she likes best at Christmas.

Gift Closets Keep You Prepared for Last-minute Gifting

And if you believe all that, I also have a lovely (only slightly used) bridge I can sell you.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I could well be wrong, but I've always had the perception that all the "gifts for everyone you've ever interacted with" was an East Coast, like NYC, thing. Like bribes for everyone who even remotely does anything for you, because if you don't give you will be on their **** list and get carpy service thereafter.

Having always lived on the West Coast, it's not a Thing here.  Your hair stylist or regular manicurist, if you feel like it. If you live in the city you very likely don't have a "regular" mail carrier, trash collector or UPS guy, but in the country yes - again, if you feel like it. Most people probably don't.

LOL no gift closet for me, maybe an extra couple of "somethings" just in case, but often a nice bottle of wine 😎

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

That would be a NO.  And, I don't have friends that  "just drop by" either to give them something out of my ever ready gift closet....  the whole idea is  ridiculous.

-Texas Hill Country-
Super Contributor

I do.  It's the only way I can keep track of the items I purchase or make for others.  I'm a big 'sale' shopper and if I find something perfect in July I tuck it away until Christmas or other gift giving occasions.