Honored Contributor

Do you follow the hosts suggestions to buy a gift...

for all those people on the fringe of your life?

How many here actually gift the bus driver, the teacher, the hairdresser, the mail carrier, the piano teacher,............?

In years past, I did a little of this. Teachers sometimes (our book fair was near Christmas, and I learned the teachers loved to provide a list of books they wanted for their classrooms, and tried to make that their gift), bus drivers (rural drivers are some of the bravest souls in the world, with snow, ice, hills and valleys), and an occasional service person that I might come into contact with during the season (one year I gave my dental hygienist a sachi bag because my appointment was just days before Christmas).

We seem to be at a point where this isn't necessary any longer. But Q sure hopes you will buy into it. 

So, do you gift all those types of people, or did you in the past?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you follow the hosts suggestions to buy a gift...

No.

I give cash to my hairdresser. I do not know her personally so I would not give anything other than cash.  Our school district does not allow students to give teachers anything other than coffee mugs are homemade treats. I gave cards with handwritten note of appreciation to teachers.

Respected Contributor

No. I think that is ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

Oh my, no. Only my hairdresser and that is cash. The rest is just craziness, IMO.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Absolutely not!!! When I was giving gifts, I'd figure out who would like what and maybe buy a couple of the same thing, but NEVER for the varied group that the hosts spout out!!! So ridiculous!!! I seriously doubt they do that themselves.

Respected Contributor

When my kids were little I would give teacher gifts (mainly homemade cookies in a cute tin) and Sunday School teachers.

But, not now.  If I am a client of someone's I don't gift them.  My business is their gift.  Besides, they should be giving me a gift for my continued patronage. 

Honored Contributor

I always laugh when I hear the host's sales pitch including all those people on the fringe for gift-giving. Years ago I used to gift my son's teachers (school and Sunday school), but he's grown and moved out now.  I've always lived in the city or right outside the city, so we don't even have the same postal person for a straight three months. 

The new UPS workers don't even ring the bell when dropping off (literally) the packages at my front door anymore, I have to rely on my dog to bark to tell me something dropped close to the door. 

We only exchange cards at work, so now the only one on that list that I gift is my dog's groomer.  She is wonderful and sends me a Christmas card with my morkie's photo on it (posing with that little bandana around her collar).       

Honored Contributor

most of the "suggested recipients" earn more than I do...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I give small tokens to my hairdresser, the mail girl, newspaper delivery person, garbage pickup people - box of candy, cookies, etc. with a thank you note for good service.

The staff at the my doctor's office is exceptional and for them I deliver a fresh fruit platter with a note of thanks.  I don't do this at Christmas; I do it at Thanksgiving time.

Trusted Contributor

NO