Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you ever get into a holiday decorating funk?

[ Edited ]

@Regal Bee 

I've seen your photos and know your decorating was way above and beyond.  Just beautiful.

In the past, I did the same.  Everything done to the maximum for every season.  And, I was working at the time!  The storage was on my 3rd floor, so it required many, many trips up and down.  

We entertained a lot with large crowds, so the house had to be perfect.

Add to that we run a small B&B and...I decorated our cottage for the guests.  And, I did the outside decor.

Over the years, I just had to let some of it go as it was no longer a happy thing for me.  Just a chore.  This year, especially, I've only done my outside flags, but no guests coming to our B&B for the near future (my choice).

While I find myself wishing it were otherwise, I know that things have changed and will not go back to the way they were.  I'm just trying to hang on to the happy memories of when I felt light-hearted about doing all that work Cat LOL

It was beautiful, and I did enjoy it. 

Just do a few small things if you feel like it and don't beat yourself up over it. 

Respected Contributor

Sometimes.  I have never been one to decorate the wlhoe house.  Connected livingroom and diningroom only.  That area has been getting smaller and smaller some years.  When I can't get into the mood I darg out a couple of boxes and look at what's inside.  sometimes that inspires me.  Sometimes not. I LIKE to put up a tree. I have an artificial one that I can put up Anytime I choose.  I'll take my time this year but sadly NO toybox for visitors to hang an ornament when they stop by,  Darned Covid!  If I have my tree and my wreath on the front door I'm happy.  You should never feel guilty or sad about decorating for Christmas.  after all, the only joyous decoration in that Stable was Love and Voices Heard on  High.  

My Favourite Christmas show is How the Grinch stole Christmas.. "Maybe Christmas DOSEN'T come from a store.  Maybe Christmas, Perhaps, Means a Little Bit MORE.

We don't need trappings, we need Peace, Love and Understanding.

Respected Contributor

A few months ago I wasn't for sure if I was gonna put my Fall decor or my Christmas decor out this year. Well I decided to put my Fall decor out and I'm glad I did. I'll also put my Christmas decor out when the time comes. I figure I'll enjoy decorating as long as I can because I know one day I might not be able to do much of it. So I'll enjoy it while I can.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Regal Bee 

I think sometimes the task itself becomes very daunting before we even start as we think of all the work involved instead of focusing on the results and how much we enjoy the finished project....

What I do to get out of the funk is to go to different Blogs and Websites and even view VPH's videos on her Facebook Page to see how wonderful everything looks to re-gain my inspiration! 

I do break down my Christmas decorating into several days---I downsized to a smaller tree and decorate it with only a few special ornaments. Next the living room---I add my VPH nativity set, some candles on the coffee table w/greenery, Jim Shore Santa & Sleigh on the bookcase--Then a few things on the dinning room table and in the kitchen, add candles in the bathroom and Im done.... 

I have really scaled back on the decor ---I dont put out as much stuff---I keep it more simple so its not so daunting...But the results are enjoyable and rewarding....Nice to sit back with Christmas music in the background, and just relax and enjoy the spirit of the season!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I quit doing it about 10 or more years ago when I realized I was tired of the mess, the dust, dragging stuff around, and to be honest, I've felt nothing but relief!  

But then it's just the two of us, so low key is great.

We put up two big trees in the front windows at Christmas and a nativity set in the house, the yard crew puts up the lights, and we put a couple of pumpkins on the porch in the fall and the flags out on national holidays.  That is IT!

I love it! 

Respected Contributor

I lost interest a few years ago. I put out a handful of things for Easter, Halloween and Christmas. I usually get a small potted tree to decorate for Christmas and that's all I do. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always loved and enjoyed decorating for the seasons.  I understand what you're going through right now as I'm in the same funk.  By this time other years, my fireplace mantle is always decorated to reflect the beauty of autumn, fall wreaths are hung on the outside doors and batteries are purchased to make sure I have them in all the window candles ready to go once the time changes.  To date, none of it has been done.  

I think we're all fatigued from everything happening in 2020.  I've come to the conclusion, it's okay and I'm not going to beat myself up for not getting it done as I have in the past.  As the saying goes, 'this too shall pass.'  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

Decorated when kids were young and I had a lot more energy. Memories of those holidays are mixed with flury and fun and trying to please extended family while giving my family great holiday experiences. Whew. As a career woman, holidays were a lot of work. I'm happy to relax now. I try to make it special for grandkids, but that's more about lights my hubs puts in the yard for kids to see and gifts they truly want.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

You know, @Regal Bee, at the heart of the matter might be your intentions behind decorating the way you that you do.

Do you decorate as a service to your friends whom you entertain regularly?

If so, skipping this year makes a lot of sense.

Do you do it for yourself, because you genuinely enjoy transforming your house once a year into your own beautiful version of Christmas?

If so, would you feel deprived if December 25th rolled around and you hadn't made whatever effort was required for you to transform your home into a wonderfully enchanting space that acurately reflects your taste and unique eye?

You'll know what you want to do and it will be perfect for you this year. 

Merry Christmas, @Regal Bee !

Respected Contributor

I decorate but much less. Fall is pumpkins and decorate window box on the porch. Christmas is candles in the window and tree.  Snowmen are a must and my red truck.