Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you ever get into a holiday decorating funk?

@Regal Bee, I don't get into a funk....I just choose to do very minimal decorating (if at all) at this stage of my life. A holiday wreath on the front door and my ceramic Christmas tree will work just fine for us this year! We no longer entertain, and decorating by myself is just too much work for me!

Maybe you'll change your mind as the holidays approach, but if you don't, there is nothing wrong with that. Do what you feel comfortable with....be nice to yourself, especially in this crazy year that we're living through!

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee 

I just wanted to add you have inspired many of us on these boards over the years...and you helped me realize "less is more" in the beautiful vignettes you've shared.

Your talent for decorating shows in how beautiful the "smallest" seasonal item can be!

I have learned the very hard way much about myself and expectations this last 7 months with a sick spouse...it's one day at a time & do what makes "me" happy vs. "what I should do".  

So, don't stress making the decision do it if it brings you joy🙂

Honored Contributor

I live alone and for me decorating is more important than...

I live alone and for me decorating is more important than ever this year. I put my fall decor out very early and have been enjoying it so much. I look forward to starting my holiday decorating on Thanksgiving since we can't be celebrating with family and friends. I am doing everything possible to stay happy and optimistic. I will continue to follow the guidelines and not let the happenings of this year get me down. Too much to be thankful for.

Honored Contributor

I'm not going all out this year. 

I have many beautiful decorations--I always went for the really, really nice decor, not the cutesy stuff.  But it was still enjoyable for the grandchildren.

I always felt that Christmas decorations looked out of place by the 26th and on.  They were only for the time leading up to Christmas.  Hard for me to explain.

I always wanted to take them down immediately and get the gifts from under the tree put away.  I also think that Christmas trees look strange in daylight (bright sunny rooms).  Again, hard for me to explain.

Since no overnight guests this year (family) and no big gatherings at my home, I am keeping it extremely simple.

I have a ton for Halloween---lots of *cutesy* stuff.  Only a little bit is going to be put out.

I'm going to thin it out when the time is right.  All of it.  Now is not the time, though.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Regal Bee  Just a thought, If the inspiration does not strike you.  There was a Christmas many years ago, when due to oblighations and uncertainties Decorating was Below the last thing on my list.  A friend of ours sent us a Very large potted Pink Poinsettia.  We got out a nice tablecloth and put it on the diningroom table. Any gifts we got or had wrapped ready for us to give and the Christmas cards we recieved were placed around that poinsettia.  It was actually a very elegant focal point.  Not over the top Christmas but a nod to the season.

It was Just Enough.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine wrote:

@Regal Bee  Just a thought, If the inspiration does not strike you.  There was a Christmas many years ago, when due to oblighations and uncertainties Decorating was Below the last thing on my list.  A friend of ours sent us a Very large potted Pink Poinsettia.  We got out a nice tablecloth and put it on the diningroom table. Any gifts we got or had wrapped ready for us to give and the Christmas cards we recieved were placed around that poinsettia.  It was actually a very elegant focal point.  Not over the top Christmas but a nod to the season.

It was Just Enough.

i do the same thing with my large ceramic christmas tree i made in the 70's!

Honored Contributor

I felt that way the year I lost my mother.  She passed away in July and I was numb. I couldn't bring myself to think about the holidays, much less decorate.  My husband understood even though I couldn't put it into words.  My girls were young teens and the three of them took over the decorating, cooking, shopping for the holidays that year. I decided how much, if anything, I wanted to participate in.  So, if you don't feel like decorating.  Don't do it.  There's no law that says you have to decorate for Fall or for anything else.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, a few years ago my dad was very sick.  As he and mom lived states away from me, I would go visit twice a month to help care/relieve my mom in any way I could.  It came time for Christmas, and my heart was not in decorating at all.  My BFF and DH decorated my house during one of my visits back to my folks.  It seems makes me cry today remembering opening my door to my home, seeing all the Christmas lights.  It was one of the nicest things that anyone has ever done for me.  Why?  Because I was one of those who went all out, decorating every inch of my house for years......loved doing it.  Today, I have really taken a step back and still struggle with it, but it always seems to work out for my family.

Super Contributor

it's perfectly normal to find yourself without holiday spirit every now and then. don't despair. it will come back. give it time. this is the first time in over 5 years that i decorated for autumn and halloween. so there is hope. covid has dampened all our spirits, so dont be hard on yourself. when the time is right all your decorating senses will be back on track.

Honored Contributor

I get in a funk all the time.  I don't feel like exercising anymore, taking walks, making trips to the store, lately I don't even want to get out of bed.