Respected Contributor

Do you ever get into a holiday decorating funk?

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever get into a holiday decorating funk?

Over the years I have reached the point where I didn't have any interest in decorating for Fall and Christmas.  I didn't have the motivation or energy to bother.  For me who is known for decorating, it wasn't a  good feeling.

Every time this happened I managed to get through the funk so to speak and ended up decorating.  When I finished putting out my decor , I felt uplifted surrounded by something that for the most part always brought me joy. That has been my experience.

I wish you the best , Regal Bee, and what ever you decide to do, have peace of mind and be happy.

Esteemed Contributor

I gave away all my holiday stuff when DH and I downsized. It really bothered me the first year but this will be my fourth and boy I don't miss it at all. I put a wreath on my door that's it. 

Esteemed Contributor

i stopped decorating a few years ago....too much work.....too much arthritis....

Honored Contributor

I have always hated decorating for holidays, especially Christmas.  It has always made me feel anxious and guilty because I felt I had to do it or I'd be letting my family down.

So...I did it, year after year.

Finally my children grew up and have houses of their own.  Two of them decorate, one does not.  My husband likes to look at decorations, but he will not decorate inside.  He does hang lights outdoors.

I finally stopped feeling guilty and put my feelings first.  I always hang a seasonal wreath and I might put out a few small items for each holiday, but no more big stuff.

I do what I feel like doing.  Sometimes I decorate more and sometimes less.  The holidays come and go and I am a much happier person now.

It is perfectly okay to decorate or not.  I think we as women feel guilty when we change traditions and don't want to disappoint anyone.  

My advice...you're an adult.  You can do what you want to do guilt free.  And it is okay to change your mind and often.  Enjoy the holidays with or without decorations.

I have seen some pictures of your home that you posted in the past.  It is beautiful.  Put your feet up, relax and enjoy it.

Esteemed Contributor

I told DH this year I will either be decorating early

for Christmas

or not at all

I really hope I go with early

Honored Contributor

I get a little less interested every year, to be honest. 

Used to love it. Still love my fall decor, and don't mind doing it because it is limited (relative to Christmas), I can set a time frame of just a couple of hours, have it done (with cleaning the rooms as well). I limit it to living room, dining/kitchen (very limited, mostly wreaths) and the family room. 

I enjoy it because it is stuff I bought to all coordinate, and match. I get to leave it up for about three months, so it makes the change worth it. I love the colors and I can easily clean around it (something that Christmas decor makes more difficult). 

I'm seriously considering not decorating for Christmas this year though. I'm not really depressed or in a funk, but just not feeling it. I'm anticipating not being able to gather all my family together because of the virus, so it just doesn't seem 'worth it'. 

Another part of the problem is I have a ton of Christmas stuff, and it has become exhausting putting it up, even though I have scaled back, store it in the room it belongs (less up and down steps now), and limited the rooms I decorate, it just seems too much work for the six weeks or so it is up. 

I enjoyed it after I scaled back a few years ago, and bought a lot of new things for a complete and elegant look I was wanting, but the joy in doing it has begun to diminish once again.

Fall decor was up early Sept. enjoy it and will leave it up through Thanksgiving. The jury is still out as to what or how much I will do for Christmas. We'll see where life is at that time, I guess.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee  Other than significant efforts made for fall, winter and Christmas, I've never been one for all out seasonal decorating. My nods to warmer weather seasons have always been somewhat minimal, amounting to maybe changing out things like throws, decorative accessories and throw pillows. That said, over the past decade or so my interest in decorating for fall, Christmas and winter has waned considerably. I've done it all before and to tell you the truth, the thrill is gone...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I do less each year.  I use year round decorations and then put up a few holiday decorations.  The tree just has a few ornaments.  I am not going to replace anything when it dies out and I am hoping my 20 something neice will take some of my Christmas decorations at Thanksgiving, otherwise it is being donated.  

Esteemed Contributor

During the last two holiday seasons i have cut down the amount of decorations little by little.....but have very little interest this coming Thanksgiving/Christmas because of the pandemic and the reality that it may just end up us two home for the holidays