Respected Contributor

Do you consider storage when buying seasonal items?

Almost the first thing I think about when looking at Fall and Christmas items is storage. Is this a major consideration with you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you consider storage when buying seasonal items?

Most definitely.  My storage space is pretty full, and I like the Christmas things I have, so I rarely buy any more stuff.  It's a great disincentive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Regal Bee

yes, I have too as downsizing to a villa the only real storage is in our attic area.  (Goodness knows what's up there - he claims we don't have room for one more thing!)

On another thread I want to purchase these beautiful large 3 piece snowmen and a large Christmas tree - but this is the issue -- where to store them!!!

UGH the trials and tribulations of downsizing! (I hate it!)  

I sometimes think about renting a small storage unit so I don't have to depend on him going up into the attic (with much groaning & complaining) so when I want something I can just go to facility and get it.  BUT cost factor is not a smart option!

Respected Contributor

Yes indeed....where it will be displayed and how it will be stored.  If I don’t have answers to both questions...I don’t buy it!

Respected Contributor

Absolutely .. I live in S.W. Florida ... no basement .. no attic .. and

if I keep anything in the garage in the winter time it has to be

moved inside in the summer ...So yes ....

Respected Contributor

Absolutely!  We still have young children at home and we decorate for Fall and Christmas.  If I can't display the items or store them then I don't buy them.  I go through all the bins for every holiday and see what's not being used (I grow tired of some things) and will donate them.  I've become very picky what I'm letting into my home, after all, you have to put up and take down all of those decorations.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Regal Bee

yes, I have too as downsizing to a villa the only real storage is in our attic area.  (Goodness knows what's up there - he claims we don't have room for one more thing!)

On another thread I want to purchase these beautiful large 3 piece snowmen and a large Christmas tree - but this is the issue -- where to store them!!!

UGH the trials and tribulations of downsizing! (I hate it!)  

I sometimes think about renting a small storage unit so I don't have to depend on him going up into the attic (with much groaning & complaining) so when I want something I can just go to facility and get it.  BUT cost factor is not a smart option!

I would advise againt that @homedecor1.  My ex rented a storage unit for all his junk and before he knew it he was getting a bigger one to hold more junk.  I think he was paying quite a hefty rental bill each month.  I don't need anything that much that I have to pay to store it.

Respected Contributor

Same here .. go through every year to see if I am tired of anything

or things that don't make it through the storage well ...

One of the happiest days of my life was when my husband said

to me ....I would be happy with a 3 ft. table top tree ....I love

decorating all except the tree ....for some odd reason ....

Respected Contributor

My house is on the small side but I have a large storage room ! So, My challenge is space to display !

Honored Contributor

YES! YES! YES!

We are busting out of our house as it is. I don't need any thing else. I am trying to get rid of the stuff "I just had to have".

Besides my son moved back in, with his extensive vinyl record collection, his thousands of DVDs, turntables, speakers etc.

I have so many nice seasonal items, I don't need more. I have so much, I don't put them all out. It is becoming easier to say no.