Esteemed Contributor

Last year we decided to go to a smaller tree and got a pencil tree. I just wasn't happy with it and I am looking at a SLIM tree by Vickerman. It is also flocked.

I am wondering if I am going to make another mistake by buying it....

I know they can be a little messy, but I can deal with that...

How do they hold up?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do flocked trees yellow ?

Starrynite flocked tree I got from Q has not yellowed. Sister purchased on from Home Depot also did not yellow.  This will be our 3 year coming up.  They are  ethereal and beautiful , Gives that winter wonderland feeling.

Respected Contributor

I purchased a flocked tree to replace an all white tree that had turned yellow about 5 years ago from Sam's Club. So far my flocked tree haven't turned yellow.

Valued Contributor

I purchase a white flocked tree from QVC 4-5 years ago. I can't recall the brand. When I set it up last year I noticed it was not pure white anymore. It had turned a dull pale gray. I read that you can touch them up with spray paint but that would mean covering all of the bulbs before spraying. I guess I'll see what it looks like this year before I do anything. I definitely won't buy another flocked tree.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had flocked trees from Bethlehem Lights, VPH, Vickerman and Balsam Hill and they have not yellowed. I did buy 2 small flocked trees from Hallmark and they did. They were much older (5 years or more) so I think it was age more than the quality. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a 9 year old heavily flocked Vickerman that has not yellowed or grayed.

Mine has not lost any flocking.  So far, it has been adhering to the needles.  I store it standing up and covered though, and only use picks...no ornaments needing hangers. 

The flock has remained snow white; although, I think flocked trees could be refreshed with Snow Spray that comes in a can.  

They are so beautiful and realistic, I don't think they even need decorated except white incandescent lights.  Mine looks like it just stepped out of the forest after a heavy snowfall. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ive had a heavily flocked garland for about 10 years. It was by Colin C. at hsn.  It still looks good with no yellowing. I store it in my storage building outside in the box it came in.  But at that time I gave 100.00 for the garland, so I think the quality matters. 

I have heard  that a lot of sunlight will make flocking yellow. So if that be true it would be best not to place it in front of a window that gets direct sun.

Also tempeture and humidity has a lot to do with it. There seems to be a difference in quality of some . I had some flocked picks that yellowed and some that didn't. 

You might google it for more information to help you decide.

But you'll probably get at least 5 years out of one if stored properly.  They are beautiful and wouldn't detour me from buying one.. I did buy one last year but haven't used it yet. Hopefully this year..

Good luck with your decision and purchases. 

Honored Contributor

I know the older flocked trees always did. 

My guess is even with new ones, and even with the more expensive brand ones, storage is probably key. 

Not to hot, not too cold, not damp, well covered. 

Occasional Contributor

I have several flocked trees, most for about six years, mine yellow some depending on heat/ light if next to a window  but I touch mine up with snow spray if needed and they look brand new. I will say that I didn't have any yellowing for the first 5+ years. You don't have to be careful with the lights while spraying, you can leave it on them..it gives a muted , really pretty light look or you can just wipe it off with your finger. It's super easy and super fast. I love mine.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio   I agree regarding storage. I have a small, flocked Hallmark tree that I've had for 4 years now and no yellowing. 

I keep it stored in an extremely large tub in the guest closet upstairs. It looks brand new every year. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon