Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You “Style” Your Christmas Tree?

@Spurt  both of your trees sound wonderful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We only put up one tree, and it's not styled, if that means decorated in one theme or a couple of colors. I've seen  themed trees decorated in similar ornaments and colors. I think they can be really elegant looking. 

We have a variety of ornaments in many different sizes, shapes, and colors. Every ornament has a story behind it, whether it was made, gifted, or bought. Some of our ornaments are from our childhood. We do use the same dark red tree skirt and beaded garland every year. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@HonestLife wrote:

I'm watching my favorite Valerie Parr Hill.. I keep hearing the word "styling" your Tree. Do you style your tree? I'm assuming this means a "themed" tree. 🤷‍♀️

@HonestLife 

My main tree in the living room has a variety of vintage or vintage look ornaments......Now the little tree that I put on my bedroom dresser has nothing but angels....

@Spurt   I want an angel tree in the bedroom also, have the ornaments, but not the surface noiw, hopefully one day.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

We just decorate our trees. I bought some clips from VPH to add to our tree this year.

@AuntG 

Hey AuntG, any Green Bay Packer ornaments? 😉 I include several ornaments from my fav sports teams....

@Spurt No, but going way, way back, I set up a Packer tree the year Brett Favre got a Super Bowl win. Basically, I redecorated an artificial tree with green and gold lights/ornaments. Kept it up throughout the playoffs and Super Bowl. Kids were so young back then and they enjoyed the little extras I did!

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN   I like the egg ornaments also! I don't have JoannRivers but I have many eggs. Some are porcelain, German, and I always use some my mother made years ago from real eggs and decorated. 
   Last year I decorated Valerie's slim glistening 7 foot tree I all birds and eggs. It was beautiful but took forever. Due to the pandemic I'm the only person who saw it. I do it for myself! 
   Year before last I used Lisa's sugared frosted fruit in garlands and picks, some hanging. I can do that in 20 minutes!  I'm doing it November 1 and the fruit is appropriate for both holidays. 
   I like the tall tree so much I got the 3 foot tree on special this year and decorations will be minimal and a theme. 
   With too many decorations the lights are hidden so I do fewer ornaments now.

🦃 🪶🎄🦌🎄🎄🦌🎄 

Trusted Contributor

I don't know if this means "style" or not:

The tree in the Family Room holds decorations from DH and my childhood up to recent. It includes anything the boys received; anything they made; anything they traded with little friends growing up. It holds Snowman (my favorite), very old ornaments from the past; strands of cranberries, popcorn and gold beads. Traditional colors, I guess.

We have a "formal" tree that is going up in the living room. Over the years, I've collected Waterford crystal ornaments. No colors, just clear crystal. Add in tiny white lights, those and anything else to make a Winter Wonderland Fairy Frost Tree, lol. Anything we've received that is glass and or clear will go on this tree. Should be fun!

Oh and the boys had a little tree in their rooms (2 boys per room) growing up. They were decorated with their favorite ornaments; not too many but the "Elves" always brought one on Christmas Eve so that's where they went. Now they're on the tree in the Family Room and will go with them to their own home/tree.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once in awhile I'll take a stab at a theme, like all birds or angels, as I have collected too many ornaments to put them all on my one tree. But the norm is do the hodgepodge of ornaments gathered over the years.

Respected Contributor

Never styled. Our tree is smaller than when our sons were young. I have ornaments that were on our tree when I was growing up. My Dad would come home with a different set every year. I treasure them. All ornaments that were made in school by the boys I have. The tree is full of memories. When the tree goes up I laugh and I cry. 

Honored Contributor

For most of the years of my life, our tree was the 'traditional' mix of ornaments from several generations, including those hand made things from the kid's school years, and those things handed down. Every year, some new ornaments were added that were given as gifts, or  ought for each child to have when they left home. The tree got quite full, and some years we couldn't get them all on anymore.

Then my mom started buying me the Thomas Paconi ornaments from here. She bought maybe four different sets, so some years, I would to just a Paconi tree. It was the first, 'theme' type tree I did, and I liked the look of it. 

Then a few years ago, since we have a formal living room and a large family room, I decided I would like to have my living room have a 'theme' and chose gold, and gold and white nutcracker/soldiers as the 'theme'. I decide to do the tree in black and white miniature pictures in gold frames, of all our family past and present (including pets). It made such a beautiful and elegant tree, and so sentimental. I posted a picture of it here in the past. 

The last two years, I was back to just the traditional, all ornaments tree, and not sure what I will do this year. At least we now have two trees, each only 5 foot tall, so I can do two different things in two different rooms, should the mood stirke me to do so! LOL

Super Contributor

@caaarefulshopper.    What a great idea!   I'm sure we'd all love to see a picture of your decorated tree!   Please do post!