Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Still Watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Even now that I live alone I always turn it on while I am finishing up my part of dinner that morning before I head to my families home.  I sit for at least a few minutes with a cup of coffee and really savor the whole day from before dawn with the best newspaper of the entire year to decorating the tree that night.

Without Macy's in the morning, Turkey in the afternoon with a little football thrown in (Dallas) and tree trimming at night it just would not be Thanksgiving!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I have never watched it.  I have never been a parade person.  I try but I'm bored after a few minutes and move on.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

I wouldn't miss it!  It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without watching the parade. I love the floats, balloons, marching bands, and Broadway performances.  I think it's so cool how those bands spend so much time and effort to raise money to go to NYC to perform in the parade.  There's a lot of hometown pride there, and it really makes me happy to see that accomplishment.  I also love watching the Dog Show after the parade!

@PeterDM  We watch the dog show too!!

Respected Contributor

Not really.  It seems like an East Coast thing.  I watch the Rose Parade.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure I will have the parade on, at least as background to glance at for a few minutes.  Unless, Qvc is having an out-of-this-world sale for my background!  

I used to enjoy the parade more. There's too much talking from the hosts, other celebrities yakking, too much paid only to the broadway sorts, and too many commercials. Every year, I get to see the host saying, there goes that band or that balloon, and I get to see a quick glimpse of the back of whatever far down the road.  The other channel shows glimpses of many other parades, it's confusing to figure out where they are. 

The sponsors or network who is in charge should look at how the Rose parade is broadcast with no commercial breaks, up close cameras on the band, floats, etc., and with a good details. I think if Hgtv can do it, it can be done by others.

Honored Contributor

Funny story about the Macy's parade. It's funny now but wasn't so much while it was happening.

My Mom would complain bitterly about us never visiting her very often when she lived In PA. We would leave work on Wed. and drive hundreds of miles from MI to PA. Get to her house and fall into bed. We would get up the next am and she would be watching the parade. She really seemed like she didn't care about us because the parade was on. After she moved to MI it wasn't a problem. We would pick her AFTER the parade was over and have the TG dinner.

There is a sweet little mystery that I cannot remember the title of the book. What I do remember is that his daughter called it Macy's day parade.Can anyone help me?

Regular Contributor

Yes, I watched it every year as a child and now  it's  a tradition to be in the kitchen preparing the meal and enjoying the parade. I like to ask my grandchildren what was their favorite part. So much has changed  and  become commercialized that it is nice have the little things.  Hopefully this year, with the death of Maureen O'Hara the movie Miracle On 34th Street will be on tv. I have watched this movie since childhood and can recite it word for word. It is one of my favorites. Maureen O'Hara was a great actress from the old studio days. Loved her movies

Respected Contributor

We host Thanksgiving for DH's family every year so I get up and get myself ready for the day, so I can watch the parade in peace! Nearly everything involving dinner is done by that time, except putting casseroles in oven, etc. but I'm usually in the kitchen doing final things by the time Santa makes his appearance.

Macy's Parade is must-see TV for me!

Honored Contributor

I have the parade on, but I'm cooking.  Hubby loves it as he does little thing to help.