Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Put Ice Icicles On Your Christmas Tree?

No I have cats and if they ate one it would not be good. I make my tree as cat friendly as possible.

Honored Contributor

I never put icicles on our tree.  My mom did back when ww were kids.

Respected Contributor

No, I haven't used them in years but my sister put them on her tree a couple of years ago and it was charming. Really pretty! 

Esteemed Contributor

I hated that tinsel!  OMG, what a mess it would make.  We always had it on our tree when we were kids, worst invention ever, IMO........I have never used it again since I've been on my own.  I don't even use garland anymore, I want to see all of my beautiful ornaments and the lights!

Honored Contributor

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth we did. Until one cat we had started walking around the tree and pulling them off with his tail. Then ate one and was throwing up.  

We started doing flocked white trees about that time anyway, so not since then.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9  I bought glass icicles in the 90's.  I think that tinsel

may have lost its popularity when more people started using

artificial trees. It was too messy to try to remove and save.

Also, the tinsel that has been sold for at least 30

years, does not have the same weight as tinsel of years ago. It is lighter and does not drape like the heavier tinsel did, back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Respected Contributor

Dear Mom had the job of putting gingerly on and then to remove from real or artificial tree.  My parents loved it as it was reminiscent of their homes.  It was beautiful with lights on and I loved but I did not have patience.  I never liked rope like Garland on tree.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

No I have cats and if they ate one it would not be good. I make my tree as cat friendly as possible.

Went to visit DH's mother some years back, maybe around 1960 and for some reason had my puppy with me.  Back then the icicles were sort of krinkly and had lead in them -  which I did not realize.  Did not know pup had ingested some until he went into convulsions.  Found a vet who could see him - it was Christmas day - and luckily the little guy survived.  Thank goodness the tinsel of today no longer contains lead.

Respected Contributor

@chlema  How fortunate to be able to find a vet on Christmas.

That poor little baby! You must have been terrified for your little

puppy. So glad that he recovered from that scare.

I thought that the old tinsel contained lead. That was what gave it weight and draped so well. The later tinsel was lighter and more difficult to get it to drape.

Once we got an artificial tree, I stopped using tinsel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MezzieStarr   Those are the ones we used.  My sister and I threw them on too.  That's when dad took over and carefully applied each and every one perfectly.

The later tinsel was plastic coated with silver.  We never took it off a tree.  We had natural trees and the tinsel went out with the tree in January.  It was great fun to suck up tinsel on the carpet with the vacuum cleaner.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment