Valued Contributor

Re: Disappointed in Valerie's Holiday Items

I loved the weekend shows.  I loved the way the QVC set and Valerie's home looked.  All the white & red was gorgeous.  I didn't buy any VPH items because my home is bursting with things from years past.  Plus, I splurged (in a big way) on the Luminara Heritage lanterns which reappeared after being gone for awhile. 

I find with Valerie, the best is yet to come.  She always emerges later with beautiful wreaths, garlands and candle rings among other things.  So keep watching!!

Most of all, I watched because it was a wonderful distraction from the news and all that's going on in the world!!

Esteemed Contributor

I watched a bit of it over the weekend.  I feel the same though, not much interest for me.  I do enjoy watching but I always check Amazon or Balsam Hill for sales and free shipping.  I got a "big" red truck on BH for exactly that, on sale and free shipping!  It's twice the size of VPH's and made of resin for indoor/outdoor.  I absolutely love it when I don't have to waste my money on shipping, thus not spending much more than  I would pay on the Q , and ending up with a much higher qaulity product.  JMO.

Super Contributor

I wonder if the tarriff situation and then the pandemic had any bearing on VPH items?  Shoppers are so used to cheap items because they are made in China so when those costs go up they have to be passed along to the consumer.

I love VPH items but I have to say I am very glad I already have a houseful because there's nothing remarkable so far this year that I have to have.  I did order another gingerbread house to add to my collection. But that is nothing compared to what I've ordered in the past.

Honored Contributor

I bought quite a bit, including the TSV.  This is the first time in a few years that I have bought any Chritmas decorative items this early so maybe thats why I enjoyed the shows so much because I hadn't seen the items before or they didn't seem like the same old thing.  Usually I don't watch them until later. 

Honored Contributor

I was surprised last night when Rick said 210,000 of the TSV had sold.

I am interested to hear the reviews when people get them home.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

.....and those flippin spheres! As a prior poster said, most of that stuff looked like it came from Dollar Tree! (I did laugh at Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus on their motor bikes....)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Things have changed through the years.  VPH used to present new and different items that would be difficult to find elsewhere.  I think the demands on the vendors became too complex which has resulted in less of a variety of goods being offered.  I have a friend of a friend who brought a novel product to QVC back in the 1990's and made a bundle from seling it.  However, the vendor requirements were steep (ex.- needing a huge inventory ready to go at any time and being stuck with inventory that didn't sell) and that person eventually decided not to do business with QVC anymore since it was becoming too costly.  It's sad because the QVC of old had way more unique and interesting items available.  I guess they've cut inventory to meet their bottom line.

@Jaspersmom  

I think the manufacturers are limited for home decor....it seems that they all use the same ones and come up with similar items of varying price points.... There seems to be less independent home decor designers/distributors out there and I bet many dont want to have to meet the requirements that QVC requires, when they can sell to Hobby Lobby, Home Goods & other TJ Cos, At Home, etc etc....(and look at the brands that have gone out of business)....

I read a recent business journal QVC vendor interview and its always been part of the vendor contracts with QVC regarding  inventory requirements and how the vendor gets stuck with inventory not sold.... The contract with QVC is more like a consignment sale with the vendor....And the vendor also pays for the Representative to present their product....

I also think what happened to the variety and uniqueness is QVC's sales and revenue started to decline as more and more people cut the chord and less people started watching QVC. And then there's QVC's demographic--- they don't really attract those under 40....All this also makes it difficult for the vendors to make a profit....And did you notice QVC also started switching to more of their own "in-house" brands too....bigger profits for QVC...

So combining all these factors is probably why we see more of the same and less unique items everywhere....They all go to the same Trade Shows....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@felixmom wrote:

.....and those flippin spheres! As a prior poster said, most of that stuff looked like it came from Dollar Tree! (I did laugh at Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus on their motor bikes....)

@felixmom 

I laughed when Rick and Valerie were presenting the Mr. & Mrs. Claus on the motorbikes and Rick said I think Mrs. Claus is trying to get away from Santa.... 😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched a little and saw some cute things but didnt order. I can find cute and pretty holiday things way less without shipping costs in HobbyLobby or Craft Mall. Once you add in the tax and SH it is too much, for me.  Also some of the cute things that light up are not that tall. They look tall on screen lol.

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

I wonder if the tarriff situation and then the pandemic had any bearing on VPH items?  Shoppers are so used to cheap items because they are made in China so when those costs go up they have to be passed along to the consumer.

I love VPH items but I have to say I am very glad I already have a houseful because there's nothing remarkable so far this year that I have to have.  I did order another gingerbread house to add to my collection. But that is nothing compared to what I've ordered in the past.

@busymom22   Valerie has only just begun, many shows to come, and I have found the items get better.