Valued Contributor

Re: Decorating this fall & holiday season, Changing it up? or doing your usual?

@Mominohio I didn't want to bring up paring down in my earlier post, MIO, but I feel you're on the right track. I'm less sentimental, but had a hard time with a few family pieces that weren't holiday, but just didn't fit well here. You may find like I did, that you have other pieces from these family members that I use daily, so there's not such a hold from the things you want to pare down.

The store - like shelf happened for me years back with just my smaller Christmas things. I bought a metal cabinet that was easy to move, and filled each shelf with things that made sense grouped together. I used that for years, until DS bought his house, and I felt it could be probably be better used there on a daily basis than my yearly one. Hope you'll make peace with whatever you decide. You always will have memories and if you keep one or two very special pieces, that may be enough. Thank you for posting back! pinky

Valued Contributor

@LIG1 Julie, I'm so glad you got through Irma without too many issues. It had to be so scary for everyone involved, being on the edge of the storm, or smack in middle. I just saw your email before I logged on. I'll write later on, ok?

I hope you'll have fun decorating for fall. Did you figure out whether or not to put your wagon outside? I know it will look great either place. Re; Christmas decorating, if you'll be away, what you wrote about decorating the outside, and some candles inside sounds great. The house will look pretty and lived in, and you'll come home to such a warm place. See you later! pinky

Valued Contributor

@TenderMercies  You've really worked hard now getting everything ready to decorate, but you'll have such a good time as you start getting everything decorated! I agree there is nothing like a dumpster to turn a good purge into a great one! lol Do you decorate for fall much? I remember the candle thread here, and thinking they'll be shipping soon. I hope you love them when they arrive!

I won't be doing too much differently either, but I very much look forward to decorating whether it's seasonal or a holiday. I hope you'll post some pictures? I know how much we all love them here, and look forward tothem even more now that so many are joining in. Thank you so much for posting! pinky

Trusted Contributor

@pinky ann wrote:

@TenderMercies  You've really worked hard now getting everything ready to decorate, but you'll have such a good time as you start getting everything decorated! I agree there is nothing like a dumpster to turn a good purge into a great one! lol Do you decorate for fall much? I remember the candle thread here, and thinking they'll be shipping soon. I hope you love them when they arrive!

I won't be doing too much differently either, but I very much look forward to decorating whether it's seasonal or a holiday. I hope you'll post some pictures? I know how much we all love them here, and look forward tothem even more now that so many are joining in. Thank you so much for posting! pinky

@pinky ann It is amazing how that dumpster really motivates you to get stuff done.  I hope I don't need another one for a long time! 

My Fall decor is a mix of Harvest and mature Halloween decorations.  I don't do severed heads or spiders, but I do lots of lit pumpkins and have some haunted houses and ravens.  I've only put out the items I've purchased so far for this season, and I plan on putting the rest of it up next weekend.  It's so hot here today, that it's difficult to think of Autumn.  I'm really worried about my Slatkin candles (shipped yesterday) traveling in this heat.  Hopefully I won't get candle soup.  I actually ordered two more candles yesterday from a company called Witch City Wicks.  They're a small business in Salem, Massachusetts, and they are becoming very successful with their candles.  I hope those survive the shipping as well. 

I haven't thought about posting pictures, but I will definitely try to do so once I'm all decorated.  I hope you will, too.  Have a great weekend!

Valued Contributor

@TenderMercies   Yikes! I really hope your candles are in tact, and *candle soup* is not on  the menu! It's been low to mid 70's here, but the humidity has returned for most of this week. 

I will certainly try to post pictures, and hope you'll do the same. I just can't get them to post with any regularity. I'll get one or two posted, and then it's done. I'm going to try adding Firefox next time as Edge posts them occasionally. Chrome- never, and Explorer is sooooo slow I get irritated and give up. Maybe  too easily...

Have fun decorating! Your Halloween things sound very cool. I do decorate for Halloween too, just never sure what may be too early. Maybe next weekend, if I can wait that long. Smiley Happy Thanks for posting back! pinky

Esteemed Contributor

@ZoetheCat LOVE your decorating ideas! They seem to fit right into New England!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio I'm also waiting for my son to take some things. He has been married over 10 years, and we still have some of his wedding presents! Their small Victorian house can't hold much, and they are looking for a larger house. Actually, I'm getting really attached to some of the Lenox Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mominohio I'm also waiting for my son to take some things. He has been married over 10 years, and we still have some of his wedding presents! Their small Victorian house can't hold much, and they are looking for a larger house. Actually, I'm getting really attached to some of the Lenox Smiley Wink

@PA Mom-mom

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Cry because I could have a decade or more to hold these things! Oh please no!

And laugh, because maybe your kids will forget about the Lenox. They could be convinced it was really yours all along?!!

Glad it has been enjoyed all these years!

Super Contributor

Thank you all for the kind words!  I love to decorate for each season, but I especially love fall (and I do think that living in New England may have something to do with it, although there are certainly other areas of the country that rival our fall color).  Each year I say that I'm going to scale back on the decorating, but I never do.  I'm sure that eventually I'll tire of doing it, or medical issues may intervene, but for now I just love it!

I've spent all day today finishing my front porch, so I thought I would post a few pictures of that, too.  Last pictures, I promise!!

20170916_152238.jpg20170916_152150.jpg

Valued Contributor

@ZoetheCat What a beautiful porch, and wonderfully decorated! I love the way you put things together. Thank you so much for these additional photos! Please post as many as you'd like, as I know so many of us love to see them, especially as well done as yours are.

We have some beautiful spots in PA for fall foliage, but I think New England will always be the go to for fall beauty and picturesque scenery. I've only been to Vermont once, and was fortunate to be there in the fall season, but whichever state you're from, must be as pretty, maybe even more so. Thank you again, and please post often! pinky