Valued Contributor

Re: Decorating this fall & holiday season, Changing it up? or doing your usual?

@Nataliesgramma Thank you for posting. Fall is my favorite season too. I love everything about it. I hope you're able to pare down if you feel you have too many things. We've passed along soooo much, and honestly don't miss any of it. Friends were happy to take lots of what we got rid of, so maybe knowing someone really appreciates getting your things will make it easier to let them go. Good luck whatever you decide to do! pinky

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put out different decor for the change of seasons....

I do put out some vinettes for spring/easter and do enjoy the pastel colors of spring flowers and the season, and of course a few bunnies.....

🌸🐇🐇

I don't do much for summer (a red,white,and blue flower arrangement on the dinning room table....and a patriotic theme on my kitchen "window".  And then after July 4th....its just a couple of sunflower arrangements. 🌻🌻

One of my FAVORITE seasons to decorate is fall/autumn with a couple of Halloween pieces and Jim Shore Halloween cats. 🍂.🍂 🎃🎃  I have added a few fall pieces to my collection over the last few years (perhaps because this group on this topic is such a "bad influence" Smiley Wink )

But my MOST FAVORITE season is Christmas and I go all out for that, living room, dinning room, kitchen, bath, bedroom get a special Christmas touch....🎅 🎄⛄  I do start early (2nd week in November--too much work for just a couple of weeks)......

I DO really need to pare down as many have said here.  I love the way the house looks when its done, but its a big job putting it all up and taking it all down. Some days I wish I had just a 5 ft tree placed on a small bookcase with just a few of my favorite ornaments and decorate my dinning room table and call it done.....but then I know I'd miss some of my favorite pieces (especially those with sentimental value like--- @Nataliesgramma )......So perhaps I need to go somewhere in between........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@pinky ann wrote:

@Mominohio Thank you for posting. I can understand how have too much could be overwhelming. I hope you can get excited about holiday decorations as the time closer. Do you still have your decor stored in the rooms as you did for awhile? That seemed a good system.

Maybe as you use decorations from those storage areas, sift through what you don't want to use this year and make a decision whether it's a something to save or move along. If you have room, maybe during a lull after the holidays just before packing you things away, separate the things that you feel you must keep, but don't use, and give them their own area. That will eliminate alot of time when you get started the next year, and maybe over time you'll be ready to pare down. HTH Enjoy your wonderful fall decor, and placing it in your home. I really hope you'll feel more excited as the season gets closer. pinky

@pinky ann

Yes, I do still have the Christmas decor that I've used the last couple of years, still stored in each room. It made last year so much easier to get things decorated and then taken down again at the end of the season.

Even though I have everything packed up and stored in either a closet or the basement that I haven't used for a couple of years, and it isn't something I have to trip over or look at all year long, I think just knowing that there is now so much of it, weighs on me some.

I have a spare bedroom and the closet in there was always my Christmas decor. It was there, and only there for many many years. But the last five years or so, that closet couldn't begin to hold it all anymore, and that is when the 'stress' of the storing it all came into play.

You are right, I need to just cut the cord on some of the things and be done with it. Again, I keep hoping I can get my son to take some.

He has an entire big tub of things that were purchased just for him over the years, mostly by his grandma as Christmas gifts. Most of it is really nice and expensive holiday decor like music boxes and snow globes, that we used to decorate during his childhood. He has expressed interest in keeping it, but he just isn't ready to have a place of his own yet, that will accommodate things like this, so I continue to hold on to them.

The closer the season gets, the more I get interested in getting things out and doing something, even if no to the degree I have in the past. 

Wouldn't life be great if I could build a huge storage room on my house, fill it with Origami shelving, and organize all my seasonal decor and the other things I rotate in and out throughout the year, all on shelves, not boxed or wrapped. Then you just go into that room and know exactly what you have, pick and choose pieces to display, easily rotate things from year to year, or pull things together to make different displays each year? 

Kind of like a huge walk in closet that you see on some of the home shows on tv, where everything is visible and organized and categorized, so it is easy to put together an outfit, to see and know what you have and best of all, make it easy to access and put away!

A girl can dream!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@pinky ann

Yes, I do still have the Christmas decor that I've used the last couple of years, still stored in each room. It made last year so much easier to get things decorated and then taken down again at the end of the season.

Even though I have everything packed up and stored in either a closet or the basement that I haven't used for a couple of years, and it isn't something I have to trip over or look at all year long, I think just knowing that there is now so much of it, weighs on me some.

I have a spare bedroom and the closet in there was always my Christmas decor. It was there, and only there for many many years. But the last five years or so, that closet couldn't begin to hold it all anymore, and that is when the 'stress' of the storing it all came into play.

You are right, I need to just cut the cord on some of the things and be done with it. Again, I keep hoping I can get my son to take some.

He has an entire big tub of things that were purchased just for him over the years, mostly by his grandma as Christmas gifts. Most of it is really nice and expensive holiday decor like music boxes and snow globes, that we used to decorate during his childhood. He has expressed interest in keeping it, but he just isn't ready to have a place of his own yet, that will accommodate things like this, so I continue to hold on to them.

The closer the season gets, the more I get interested in getting things out and doing something, even if no to the degree I have in the past. 

Wouldn't life be great if I could build a huge storage room on my house, fill it with Origami shelving, and organize all my seasonal decor and the other things I rotate in and out throughout the year, all on shelves, not boxed or wrapped. Then you just go into that room and know exactly what you have, pick and choose pieces to display, easily rotate things from year to year, or pull things together to make different displays each year? 

Kind of like a huge walk in closet that you see on some of the home shows on tv, where everything is visible and organized and categorized, so it is easy to put together an outfit, to see and know what you have and best of all, make it easy to access and put away!

A girl can dream!

@Mominohio

Wouldnt that be fantastic if a house came with a special storage area with shelves to organize all our decor according to each season! Woman Very Happy

My friends and I like to go to the Parade Of Homes each year not that we are interested in buying but just to see the latest in styles, appliances, and of course how they are decorated.  One house in particular was rather strange....it really wasted a lot of space....what was odd along the main hall way area were 2 steps going up to do 2 large Doors....we thought it might be an entertainment room, but it was just a huge closet space with a few built in shelves.....My friend mentioned, hey that would be perfect for all your Christmas stuff, why you could just move your decorated tree in here after the season and think how easy that would make it to decorate----Too bad the house was a bit out of my price range---I didn't have the $800,000 asking price---LOL Woman LOL  And the layout of the overall house was just very strange anyway....But I give the builder an "a" for trying although I would like that storage area put in a different location for sure! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat  Thanks so much for sharing your fall decor.  It is lovely and shows that you really put some thought into what  you wanted to do.  I love what you did with the pumpkin.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

How beautiful! Loving all of your fall decorations! Heart

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat

Very pretty decor Zoe! 

Honored Contributor

@LIG1

Glad to hear your safe and recovering from Hurricane Irma! 

Trusted Contributor

Mine will be pretty much the same but will include the new stuff I purchased since CIJ.  I've been looking forward to decorating this year.  Last year, I donated a lot of my older decor, and purchased new Rubbermaid bins for the rest of my decor, including harvest and Halloween (all in color coordinated, matching bins).  Then, over the summer, I had a 30 foot dumpster on my property, because I was getting rid of an old shed.  I took advantage of that dumpster by cleaning out my storage room.  In the past, I could barely open the door to that room, and it was an absolute nightmare to navigate.  I had old gardening and exercise equipment, and just a lot of large items that are challenging to throw away...unless you have a dumpster.  Now I can throw a cocktail party in that storage room there's so much space.  Everything is so organized and accessible that I have been able to take my newest purchases and put them into bins that weren't totally full.  So this year, the process of loading everything in to my home will be swift, easy and stress free.  So, while most of my decor will look similar as in the past, the way way that the decorating process plays out won't be the same as usual.  

Valued Contributor

@Spurt It sounds like your home looks very pretty all year round, especially for the holidays. If you decorate a lot, why not put it out early and enjoy it? I used to...

I have no idea why it seems so much work to pack things away after the holidays than it does to put them out. That drives me nuts... Hope you'll post photos if you can, pleaae? Thank you for posting! pinky