Respected Contributor

Re: Decorating for Fall ~ When will you start?

@Desertdi

I live in Florida and we don't have much Fall either. It is a state of mind, to me. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I don't like to see my fall things before September for the most part. I like to keep summer 'alive' until after Labor Day. My son's birthday is September 4th, so I never did any fall decorating until after he was back in school and we had his birthday done and over with. I still follow that same pattern.

I leave my fall things up through Thanksgiving Day, then spend the rest of that weekend decorating for Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

@fingerlakesny wrote:

I start mine about mid September.  I don't decorate for Halloween any more because I don't have small kids around any more.  The day after Thanksgiving, I put the tree up.  As I get older, the decorations seem to take longer to put up, but I love it.  I leave that up til New Year's day and I leave the wintery things up til end of February and then it's Easter and then summer!!  The whole year went by in a small paragraph.

@fingerlakesny

Yes indeed it did and does! It seems like when we are young, the course of a year is a big thick novel. As we age it becomes a book, a chapter, a page then a paragraph. Pretty soon it will pass in the space of a sentence! LOL

Trusted Contributor

I usually start the weekend before Labor Day.

Since I'm a teacher, back to school time (the day after Labor Day) always means the start of fall to me.  I like to put things out right before I go back so I can enjoy it without the craziness of back to school time.  Once school starts (for myself, as well as for my girls), it's harder to find the time to sit down and think.

Fall is my absolute favorite season and I want it to last as long as possible. Heart

Valued Contributor

Usually I put out Autumn things around Oct 1 when it starts to cool down. (It gets hot here in Colorado, too!) 

This year will be a little different; my kitchen is being renovated so it will be a mess for a couple of months. I don't know when it will actually be finished because somewhere in this time span, we have to go pick up my son who is finishing up the Appalachian Trail. Right now, he is at the beginning of the White Mountains in New Hampshire, the hardest part of the trail and the weather is not co-operating then to Maine to finish.

I absolutely will not hand over my house key to the construction guy even though they say they are bonded, etc. to keep going with the work. 

So, I may get to put up a pumpkin or two before Thanksgiving and change out my dishware.

BTW: I always like your pics of your decor, they are inspiring!

Respected Contributor

I am in the midst of a complete re-organization of all closets and the garage.  I'm not sure when I will finish, but I hope by October 1.  Whenever I finish, I will change over the decor from summer to autumn.  If it takes me longer to finish, I might have to go right to holiday, but I hope I can stay on schedule.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee  Usually mid September as it takes me a while to finish, but it depends on my mood at that time.

Respected Contributor

@Nomore  Thank you. How kind.

Valued Contributor

I'm already decorated for Fall!  I was organizing my storage closet to make room for all the CIJ stuff I purchased, so I decided to just go ahead and get the Fall stuff out and put it in place.  I don't have anything in the windows, and I won't put the harvest wreath on the door until September (so my neighbors don't think I'm crazy) -- but inside, It's definitely autumn.  I'm in Florida, so I'm longing for cooler weather.  Plus, maybe I won't buy as much whe Valerie's autumn shows come around.

Honored Contributor

As Autumn is my favorite season, I start to think of decorating in August but do not actually put out my Halloween/Harvest decorations until the very beginning of September.  I have to put away my summer items first and that entails packing which may take a couple of days to do.  

Fall is a great time to travel also and if I plan a trip that is the time for it.  I am not wishing summer away, I take each day as it comes and try to live it to the fullest.  But there is something about pumpkins, apple picking, cooler weather, falling leaves which I love, happy decorating to all no matter what you enjoy!