Honored Contributor

Re: Decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving

Decorating before Thanksgiving or even early December is too early for me, but I say do whatever makes your heart sing.  That's what you should do.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

You have to do what is right for you.  I personally never decorate until the day after Thanksgiving.  I am one who likes to enjoy each season and holiday as it comes.  I don't like to rush them and have them all blur together.  I believe each event should be given full attention and credit!!!! 

I am just today taking down Halloween decorations.  Yes, I am bit slow doing this but there have been some unfortunate things which have happenened and I was not able to get to it.

I have a few Thanksgiving things -- not a lot --- that I will put out today.

Christmas is the most important holiday to me and I like to really enjoy the season and and devote as much energy and time into it as I can.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

I used to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to do the tree; however, we now put up the tree in our florida room and decorate it but don't light it until the day after Thanksgiving.  Although it's enjoyable to decorate the tree, it's also a lot of work.  I like to enjoy it longer than from Thanksgiving to New Years.  I do, however, still have fall items out.   Do what's best for you.  I do.

Honored Contributor

Personally I think you should do what works best for you and what you want to do. Since your schedule will be very busy going forward, do your decorating now, and then enjoy. 

I actually had planned to get started this past week with my decorating, but life interferred and that hasn't happened. I wanted to get all my different areas done, then after Thanksgiving do the tree and dining room table. Maybe I can get started sometime later this week, lol.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catchersmom wrote:

@Sooner You said it beautifully!

I'm all decorated for Christmas (minus the tree and the manger scene, that is done together with my daughter the Saturday after Thanksgiving).

My family celebrates "1st Thanksgiving" this weekend with family that can't be here on the acutal holiday. That same group will not be back until the day after Christmas. Having all the decorations up now means we all got to enjoy them together while that group was here Smiley Happy.

My Mom's had her tree up since some time in October in anticipation of this weekend. My Dad however would not let her light it until the family got here this past Friday. I'm not sure who was more excited, my Mom or my Dad lol, but we've all enjoyed looking at that tree this weekend.

Spread the love, spread the spirit of the season Heart

@catchersmom

It all sounds wonderful to me and probably reduces the stress and strain on the family of all getting there on one certain day!  ENJOY your extended holiday season!!!

Respected Contributor

we allways decorated for christmas early so thanksgiving allways had christmas up.people just knew we were early birds.

Respected Contributor

twocent its funny what you wrote.. the first year we lived togeather maria decorated for thanksgiving then christmas and before tg she took down tg decorations and never put them up again so she decorates for holloween .then christmas then valentines and then easter. then she puts up every dy stuff.she said shes cooking and who dont like the way house is decoated then stay home. good luck everyone.

Respected Contributor

My DD has her 1st tree up (so small) & her boyfriend must be into Christmas, they did most of their shopping & gifts are wrapped. What?? DD is the type to wait til last minute but guess she must like this guy. I am almost done shopping but the thought of wrapping it is overwhelming for me right now. Tree gets up the day after Thanksgiving but I promised myself to start wrapping soon. I send out 25 Christmas cards got them but need DH to print out address labels (saves time writing) . The Aunts & Uncles are in their late 80's & they like receiving cards even tho they don't send anymore but I like doing it. 

Honored Contributor

I know several people who have their trees up, in just the last couple days. My hopes of getting started on my decorating this week are fading as I have another out of town appt. for tomorrow, then one day this week I need to tackle the leaves that are down, again, and we started a project which is taking longer than expected. So my week is pretty well shot.
"To each their own, in all things".
Regular Contributor

I typically wait until the weekend after Thanksgiving, but now we live out of state away from family. We have family coming to visit for Thanksgiving, but not Christmas, so I'm decorating for Christmas...kind of celebrating both holidays. Hoping to go get our Christmas tree while they are here too. I say, do what you want....people make such a big deal about whether or not it's "too early", the world has enough problems. Let's just decorate when and how we want!