Honored Contributor

Re: Decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving

I grew up in an era and environment where holidays were much less elaborate, and had much more defined 'seasons' where the decor (what little of it there was relative to today) was approved. This was the 1960's and 70's.

Over time, the season has expanded, and in reality there is no wrong answer.

As I see it, people should do what makes them happy. If I were entertaining on Thanksgiving, and having people over that I wouldn't see or entertain the rest of the season, I might want my home to be in all it's splendor, and that could mean fully decked for Christmas, or simply a nod to the upcoming season with pine cones, greens, lanterns and candles, a tree with the white lights but no decorations on it yet, etc. Things that would be seasonal but not scream Christmas. 

I don't think there is a wrong answer. 

I have all my fall decor up, and will leave it that way through the small family gathering I plan on having Thanksgiving Day. I enjoy it, and I will be having those same people in my home throughout the Christmas season, so I don't feel the need to change before.

I would do what makes you happy, or what makes for the least amount of stress for you, and enjoy the day.

Respected Contributor

Re: Decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving

Due to my job & for me to truly enjoy putting up my Christmas decor, I have to have it done before Thanksgiving.  It matters not to me or my family & friends what I have on my walls, mantles or vignettes to pay our utmost respect & the celebration of the true meaning of Thanksgiving.