Esteemed Contributor

Decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving

I am hosting Thanksgiving and generally like to keep up my fall decorations for the event, but this year I am going to be busy after Thanksgiving and would like to get a jump start on my Chrismas decorating.  I think it may be odd to be eating Thanksgiving dinner surrounded by Christmas decorations.  Any thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: Decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving

Keep in mind you are asking for personal opinions...IMO this would have been unheard of in the past. Thanksgiving was a separate distinct holiday to many. 

Do exactly as you wish. BUT if you are asking what others think...I'd find it premature.

Trusted Contributor

I think as host you have the right to make the decision!  

I had Fall/Thanskgiving decor out for all of two weeks and I just had to change to Christmas!   Brings me such joy !

Decorate away-  avoid stress of doing it at a busier time.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

In a perfect world, I would love to wait until right after Thanksgiving to decorate. However, I have decorated for Christmas before Thanksgiving for many years. I worked in retail for years and decorating before Black Friday saved my sanity and allowed me to enjoy the holiday season.

Once Black Friday hit, I pretty much had no life until after New Years. Decorating early allowed me to actually enjoy the process of putting it all together and on those days when I came home tired, it allowed me to just sit back and enjoy the season. 

As for Thanksgiving Day, even though I had the Christmas decorations up, I would dress the table itself for Thanksgiving. That was my compromise. 

I say do what makes your life easier and allows you to enjoy both holidays. 

Trusted Contributor

Do as you wish.   I am thinking of doing the same.  I decorate for me and have had the fall dec out since August and I am getting in the mood for Christmas dec.

Respected Contributor

One year when my out-of-state family was joining us for Thanksgiving, I decorated the house for Christmas except for the tree.  I use mostly green garlands and lights, not Santas or snowmen or gingerbread.  The house looked so warm and welcoming.  I don't think it felt weird.  After all, people have been seeing Christmas decorations at public venues since the beginning of November, so their eye is used to it.

Honored Contributor

Seems premature to me, especially since Thanksgiving is somewhat early this year.  I'd wait at least until the day after.   But it's your choice.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you @LizzieInSRQ, Thanksgiving should be a separate holiday.  But with my upcoming schedule, I was thinking of getting a head start since I usually start decorating after Thanksgiving but my company will be staying for a week.  I don't think it is premature to start planning.  I will if course do what works best for me, but was just asking for thoughts.

Contributor

I already have my tree up and it doesn't really bother me when people tell me I'm decorating way too early and that I'm blowing off Thanksgiving in favor of Christmas.  I don't see it that way at all.  I have no problem celebrating two holidays at the same time!  I thoroughly enjoy my family Thanksgiving meal while my beautiful Christmas tree is glowing in the background.    

Respected Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I am hosting Thanksgiving and generally like to keep up my fall decorations for the event, but this year I am going to be busy after Thanksgiving and would like to get a jump start on my Chrismas decorating.  I think it may be odd to be eating Thanksgiving dinner surrounded by Christmas decorations.  Any thoughts?

I think it will be not just odd, but also will rob everyone from that special atmosphere of Thanksgiving and those delicious colorings of fall. 

Besides,I recently heard a psychiatrist talking on TV about the topic of early decorations and people skipping holidays,etc, So he said it leads to the worse seasonal depressions, that we should enjoy one holiday at a time and not to rush our lives away.

ITA