Valued Contributor

Re: Decorating Advice -- Christmas decor under the TV?

I agree @Regal Bee -- I don't like to compete with whatever is on the screen.  But then again, having nothing there looks strange espeially when the tv is off.  I think I'm just going to lay a simple garland across the cabinet, maybe a couple of candlesticks at each end.  No blinking lights or mercury glass.

Esteemed Contributor

@Beauty Maven : your home, your rules.

Under my 55" TV is an open shelf. That's where I put my nativity set, flanked on either side by a poinsettia.. The plants are also used to hide wires and the router.

Valued Contributor

@queendiva-- Love the idea of the Poinsettias at each end.  Something different than a candle.   Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I would probably put a wide garland across the furniture piece. You could add in some addtional flameless candles eitht in the center or at each end. You don't want too much light on the furniture because of your flat screen above it. It can be distracking. If you have stationary holiday pieces (santas, reidneer,letc.) this would be an option. 

I'm at the stage where less is more as long as the less is a larger scale. I prefer a few very decorated areas over decorations everywhere. 

Respected Contributor

It's not up to anyone but you.  Your house, your philosophy.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I usually put small items on the Mahogany console under the T V. I never use candles there because they are distracting while watching TV. 

I’m careful what lights I use that reflect in my TV. I guess I get distracted easily. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks @Peaches McPhee -- I don't consider myself a "real" decorator.  I know what I like when I see it, but somehow it never looks right when I do it!!!  I need a lot of feedback and suggestions from y'all on these boards. I appreciate the input.

Honored Contributor

Might as well make use of the space if you enjoy decorating for Christmas. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I decorate for Christmas, more is perfect! 

So for now, I put it all out, move it around if needed & dread having to pack it all up to put away.