Contributor

Re: David's Great Big Harvest

@SHOPR wrote:

I'm glad David insisted on having the lights dimmed all the way.  He even thanked his crew and complimented them. 

During some of Valerie's shows, I wish she would ask someone to turn the lights all the way UP.  I know they can, because sometimes they are bright enough, but more often they are not.  She even stood under a spotlight once and said something about look closely at this item now that I am standing under this light.  

Yes! It drives me nuts and even thought about saying something on her FB page. I understand they want the lights down, but it is too dark to see the colors.

I didn't think David said anything wrong either, but I lost interest in the show when I found out Bethlehem Lights made the items. My first and only purchase from that company was the glitter sprigs, and they were junk!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaryLamb wrote:

@ULY  I didn’t see it as denigrating anyone. He asked them to turn down the lights, and whoever was in his earpiece said they didn’t know how. He responded that maybe they should call someone to figure out how. They turn down the lights all the time for decor shows, so It shouldn’t have been a challenge for them to do, and David shouldn’t have had to ask twice. 

The man is very tightly wound and that's from my wife who generally enjoys his shows. The manner in which he spoke to whomever was highly uncalled for and completely unnecessary. Anyone else acting in such a way woudl be met with displeasure but not this man. Oh no...

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like David and don't think that is incompatible in agreeing that I as well feel he is tightly wound.  Other hosts also seem tense to me and I've heard a few of them talking in what might be considered a rude manner to the crew.

I actually place the blame for these behaviors on the QVC producers.  Paradoxically, they encourage the hosts to think of themselves as celebrities and divas, yet work them like old horses with the resultant intense pressure to sell, sell, sell at any cost, even perhaps at the expense of employee health and well-being.  

Oh, well, I guess what I had hoped would be a diplomatic diversionary tactic bringing up some of David's enjoyable Halloween decor has been met with stony indifference, lol.

Respected Contributor

Id rather hear David get a little snarky than  hear the talk of "beach houses" that a former host who did Decorating Shows kept rubbing in our face.

Esteemed Contributor

@antiquarian  I liked the ghost and cat on pumpkin better than the other items.  I preferred how they glowed from within through cutouts, rather than through bulbs on the exterior.

Honored Contributor

I continue to be amazed at how easily people are offended or how quick they are to think someone is 'inappropriate'. I guess many people are raised in a vacuum and are never spoken to except in whispers and with kindness. 

I missed the show but went and watched the video....twice actually, because I thought I missed some horrible behavior by David. 

If his words and tone were off putting to anyone, I really don't know how those people cope in everyday life. 

Based on the way I was raised and the real world I live in, I'd be pleased to be chastised in this way. I saw nothing inappropriate, in either actual words or his tone/attitude. 

I have seen David be short with people in the past. He's human. It happens. And I will say I've always seen him 'make it right' immediately following. 

Really, how do some people get through life, with such excessive sensitivities? 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @SHOPR  Appreciate your reply!  And I agree. I love cut-outs, they are very nostalgic, brings me back to childhood with its true wonder and fun of the holidays.

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@ULY wrote:

Nothing like denegrating someone who didn't promptly dim the lights. Once we saw such rude behavior we changed the channel.

@ULY  I didn’t see it as denigrating anyone. He asked them to turn down the lights, and whoever was in his earpiece said they didn’t know how. He responded that maybe they should call someone to figure out how. They turn down the lights all the time for decor shows, so It shouldn’t have been a challenge for them to do, and David shouldn’t have had to ask twice. 

@MaryLamb 

And I like how David asks for a closeup on a detail of a product and makes sure he waits and gets what he requested from the producer/camera folks.....most of the time other hosts asks for the lights to be dimmed they dont do it, and the hosts just move on and viewers miss out 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I continue to be amazed at how easily people are offended or how quick they are to think someone is 'inappropriate'. I guess many people are raised in a vacuum and are never spoken to except in whispers and with kindness. 

I missed the show but went and watched the video....twice actually, because I thought I missed some horrible behavior by David. 

If his words and tone were off putting to anyone, I really don't know how those people cope in everyday life. 

Based on the way I was raised and the real world I live in, I'd be pleased to be chastised in this way. I saw nothing inappropriate, in either actual words or his tone/attitude. 

I have seen David be short with people in the past. He's human. It happens. And I will say I've always seen him 'make it right' immediately following. 

Really, how do some people get through life, with such excessive sensitivities? 

@Mominohio 

Its the society in which we live today, everyone is offended about EVERYTHING these days.....its a tad ridiculous...

And if its a Unicorn and Lollipop World they think we live in it's somewhat hypocritical that they can criticize others, yet arent their harsh words just as inappropriate?????

A host is expected to sell products and it appears QVC is applying extra pressure on them these days.  So Producers and Camera People should be expected to be capable and able to do their job too....So nothing at all wrong with what David asked!!!  Especially when we hear about all these pre-show meetings they have in preparation for shows.

Its just common sense when you have an item that lights up that the lights are going to be needed to be dimmed....Looks like a Producer wasnt doing their job and making sure of proper preperations for the show's product presentations!!!--THEIR BAD, NOT DAVID'S!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”