Respected Contributor

Did anyone see David Venable get teary talking about his Mimis Ceramic Christmas Tree? He said the tree reminded him of a simpler time.  I concur.  Chistmas was so innocent in the 1960s and 70s before all the electronic gadgets went haywire.  We need to embody the spirt of that time.  While many think David is a "ham" I was touched by his love for his Grandmother. He loves his elders and respects them. 

Honored Contributor

hmm didn't see it,

but he's there to sell Christmas stuff IN JULY

in "simpler times"  Christmas arrived after Thanksgiving 

Honored Contributor

I too am watching the presentation of David's grandmother's ceramic tree.  I was touched by his emotional side while talking about his grandmother, memories of someone he truly loved and cared about.  I know how some hosts go off on tangents about this and that and it can be annoying at times.  However, this was a sincere show of emotion seeing his grandmother's tree being presented, a tree he chose to have as a memory of her.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear 

Related image

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

He seems sincere, but let’s face it, QVC contributes to the more complicated Christmas. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

hmm didn't see it,

but he's there to sell Christmas stuff IN JULY

in "simpler times"  Christmas arrived after Thanksgiving 

Neither he (nor any other host) gets to choose the programming of the shows that they are assigned to do, so blame his bosses for that.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

David's a convincing salesman.  He knows what to say to pull at your heartstrings.

Honored Contributor

jackthebear

What does showing emotions over someone who has passed and who you loved have to do with CIJ and simpler times?  The tree being sold was David's grandmother's, a memory of her.  He was choked up thinking of his grandmother who he obviously was very close to.  I am not a fan of any host and I didn't buy the tree.  But I could relate to David on this one as I too would have been sentimental which has nothing to do with CIJ.

Valued Contributor

I just watched the video which is up on the product page. He seemed very genuine in his reaction, however he’s told that story many times before over the last few years. When he talked about going back to simpler times, I think he was referring to how childhood doesn’t have all the responsibilities and stresses that come with being an adult. I don’t believe he was referring to a specific period of history or technology. 

Honored Contributor

Oh my.

Yeah...it kinda/sorta reminds me of those weight-loss infomercials

where there’s a testimonial & they get teary-eyed.  Or the movie

Broadcast News where William Hurt’s character mustered up

off-camera tears before they started filming. 

It does seem a little trite in terms of TV selling.

Been there; done that. 

But obviously it works on some, so...yay, QVC.