Honored Contributor

DO YOU USE OR LIKE GLASS CLOCHES?

When I was in Marshall's last week getting a throw, they had a nice little assortment of cloches, at very decent prices.  If you use them at Christmas, or all year round for entertaining, it might be worth a look.  Some were classic, one was even bling-y!

I don't want a lot more "decor" that I have to have storage for, but I picked up a small Tommy Bahama cloche that caught my eye with its cute wood base with little feet.  It gave me the feeling of the tropics, "old" Singapore, and seemed slightly midcentury modern.  Later could use it for serving cheese and crackers, mini-cupcakes, etc.

But for now, I couldn't resist filling it half way with a combo of dreamy blue beach glass and "gold" jingle bells.  Presto-- as Valerie would say, "coastal Christmas"...

Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU USE OR LIKE GLASS CLOCHES?

@Oznell  Here are two of my Christmas cloches.  I am going to make another this year.  I have an enormous bell, what was I thinking, bought very cheaply, that I don't have enough surface for, so may put it under the tree with something in it.

DSCF3041.JPGDSCF2767.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I gave my Village 56 away years ago but remaining for me are some items including skaters, small trees and little mirrors (I think I took those from compacts).  I put the skaters and mirrors there with 2-3 of the little various-sized trees, sprinkle artificial snow over the entire scene (for one). 

I turn another upside down and fill it with various ornaments from my mother's blown glass collection (German) and then turn it right side up onto a wooden cutting board of similar size.  I surround it with a small holly wreath.  

I have a miniature size nativity scene that I use for one and I set it on a mirror (I think I got at Hobby Lobby (round), and add some crisp outdoor leaves over the mirror to give it a dead-of-winter look with ice peeking through).

In spring and summer, I put those miniature faux succulents with mini jardin pots onto the mirrors and set them in an area behind my sink (which is in a corner) with other live greenery and some succulents as well.  Then at Easter, I add some tiny bunnies just to make it season.

I have not yet decorated for Christmas and I have Autumn stuff.  One of mine I filled with those Autumn leaves from (probably) Dollar Tree, turned it upside down onto the cutting board and it looks very Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

Oh, @mousiegirl, beautiful!  That solitary little deer, crouching in clouds of snow under glass-- so ethereal...

And the next, with the green and the frosty red berries-- that one says "Victoriana" so clearly to me-- ornate and vintage-- I could easily see it next to a beautiful antique Belter sofa...

Well done!  I have a theory that people drawn to cloches, with their potential for myriad little scenes under transforming glass, are highly visual, impressionable, bent on creating moments of beauty--- much like the best photographers, I imagine...

Honored Contributor

And you also prove my point, @Nonametoday, with your wonderful, imaginative little scenes-- there's so much potential for creativity...  I bet you get great fulfillment coming up with them.

The whole cloche thing reminds me of shadow boxes too...

Trusted Contributor

I do like them and I think these that are posted are unique. But I’m no good at bringing one together. So I don’t have any other than Valeries.
Respected Contributor

I don't mind them, but I don't decorate with them. 

For some reason the items inside look like they need to be set free....like they're trapped & can't escape, lol. 

On the other hand, I like the look of a clear glass hurricane filled with sparkly goodies & microlights. That way, if the contents want to escape, they're free to do so. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I love cloches and use them often.

Here is a picture with a cloche I used a couple of Christmas seasons ago. I mixed it in with apothecary jars.

Cloche Snow 6.jpg

Honored Contributor

Just lovely, @Regal Bee!

Trusted Contributor

@regalbee
Love it!