Trusted Contributor

Re: DESIGNER DOES A "FAMILY CHRISTMAS"

@Oznell

I'm not familiar with Rebecca. But I really enjoyed the video. I'll be looking for more now that I know about her. Thanks for posting. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks Oznell. I am going to order the gold pine cones for my dining room tray.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach, you pose such good questions!  That's a tough one.  First, I thought of my favorite, kind of "high cottage" designers-- but couldn't find any images so far that show their interiors decorated for Christmas, specifically.

That category you mention of "sophisticated cottage" is so interesting.  When does "sophisticated cottage" merge into kind of "regular traditional"?  I'm thinking "s.c." occurs when traditional relaxes into something more idiosyncratic, with more random elements, humor, color, a deeply personal point of view?  That leads us in the direction of English country house or cottage style...

The Brits seem to be superb at that.  My all time English favorites were-- Georgina Fairholme, John Fowler, Sibyl Colefax, etc.  Modern examples--  William Yeoward-- LOVE him.  I have one of his books on his country house that I read obsessively!

My favorite (American) designer of all time, the late Albert Hadley, did a wonderful edited "s.c." among other styles.  He could be quite quirky, exotic, but disciplined.

https://www.housebeautiful.com/room-decorating/tips/g1205/albert-hadley-interior-design/?slide=3

Contemporary Americans who can do "s.c" in their sleep (but not exclusively) that come to mind--  Miles Redd, Mary McDonald, Kathryn Ireland, Jeffrey Bilhuber.

http://www.cottages-gardens.com/Connecticut-Cottages-Gardens/December-2012/Interior-designer-Jeffrey...

But no Christmas images of their work could I find in a superficial search! (Maybe they're all on Pinterest?)  Now you've got me all interested, I will keep on the trail!

Honored Contributor

@ladycos, I only stumble on her myself about a month ago.  Warning-- her videos can be quite addicting.   Especially the ones that show the dramatic transformations of spaces she brings about, seemingly by magic!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, super, @Catiele-- I hope you love the effect as much as I do!

Oh, my gosh, I just checked and they've been reduced to $7.81!   And I paid full price, sob.  Hoping you got in on the deal.  I did think they were a wee bit over priced originally, but seeing the rich but subtle effect they have, I think they were well worth it.  Off to order a second, bargain set!

Honored Contributor

It's really beautiful! 

Even though it's not "high end glam" I'm sure if the average person wanted to recreate a similar look it would still be expensive and labor intensive!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dearest @Oznell

If I ask good questions, it's only because I have come to count on you for thorough and exacting answers!

I've printed out your response and will start on what I expect to be an enjoyable tour of what these sites and designers have to offer.

I must say you've captured my intent by veering toward English country.  That is the style I've attempted to emulate in my living room.

p.s.  Another guideline I use is that if there are animal figurines (of any material, fabric, or size) as part of the decor, they should not be cartoony, or have cutesy clothes, or silly facial expressions.  Those are fine for other styles, but just not for me. Natural and real are more my taste.   On the other hand, glitter is rarely wrong.  Woman Wink  And bows around adorable necks is a perfect look for holiday.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Oh, those are great criteria, @GingerPeach.  Totally agreed!

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting the link to it.
"To each their own, in all things".