Honored Contributor

DESIGNER DOES A "FAMILY CHRISTMAS"

I like to look at San Diego-based Rebecca Robeson's design ideas, esp. for Christmas.  But her style tends to be very glam, elaborate, often sort of "Hollywood Regency-esque".

That's fun, but for real life, I like how she helped her son and daughter-in-law do a more low-key, but perfect-for- their-young-family Christmas.  Neat to see how they take their unpretentious California ranch in a festive direction. 

The young couple favor grays and whites and shiplap (of course!) but adding in golds, and Christmas traditional red and green looks great!  The end result seems faintly rustic-modern-'Scandie', and is charming.  I could see this approach working for young marrieds, and 'mature down-sizers too.'

Lovely music in the video. The little boy whose "name is 5",  I want him!   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ppLuwnpCQ

Respected Contributor

Re: DESIGNER DOES A "FAMILY CHRISTMAS"

@Oznell:  I belong to her "club" but haven't been able to access all of it yet.  Love her decorating blogs.  She definitely has a knack for all things beautiful.  

Valued Contributor

Love Rebecca's videos!

Honored Contributor

I didn’t watch the entire video but loved how the couple and their kids decorated for Christmas. And it doesn’t hurt to have a designer in the family either.

I loved using the garland in the kitchen and little lights.

What a great idea to use little lights in the fireplace.

And what a change they made to the picture wall.

Thanks for posting.  Little touches can make such a difference when decorating for the holidays.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I like to look at San Diego-based Rebecca Robeson's design ideas, esp. for Christmas.  But her style tends to be very glam, elaborate, often sort of "Hollywood Regency-esque".

That's fun, but for real life, I like how she helped her son and daughter-in-law do a more low-key, but perfect-for- their-young-family Christmas.  Neat to see how they take their unpretentious California ranch in a festive direction. 

The young couple favor grays and whites and shiplap (of course!) but adding in golds, and Christmas traditional red and green looks great!  The end result seems faintly rustic-modern-'Scandie', and is charming.  I could see this approach working for young marrieds, and 'mature down-sizers too.'

Lovely music in the video. The little boy whose "name is 5",  I want him!   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ppLuwnpCQ

@Oznell  Really nice, especially the little girl toddler at the end, wonderful! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Well put, @OKPrincess-- it is all in the "little touches", for me!

Respected Contributor

Loved the transformation of her son’s house. The children made it fun. I like to decorate but have cut back. I still have my Fall things up. DH put up two small Christmas trees. Along with the pumpkins. 

Honored Contributor

I like that @Catiele--  pumpkins and trees!  I've been tempted to infiltrate some Christmas-type things among my fall stuff.  I like it when you can sort of straddle the seasons.  Valerie Parr Hill does these "acorns" and "pinecones" (faux) in both "natural" and gold:

https://www.qvc.com/6-Piece-Mixed-Set-of-Pinecones-and-Acorns-by-Valerie.product.H216559.html?sc=PSC...

Since mine are gold, they seem to span both fall and Christmas. They're satisfyingly chunky and heavy.  I put them on an old Gorham silver-plate tray we got as a wedding gift, for a little "fall' vignette, but I'm going to leave them there through Christmas-- the silver and gold together is sort of festive...

Honored Contributor

I loved that video and the house...thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A nicely done home.  I especially love the dining table decor and the entry.  That black chest became perfect, @Oznell

p.s.  Have you ever come across any sophisticated yet cottagey Christmas decorating videos?  I'm finding one or the other, but so far none that really combine those two concepts, at least not to my liking.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.