Regular Contributor

Re: Curious — Ceramic Christmas Trees

I was given a ceramic Christmas tree during my 1st year of teaching. It was painted and decorated with little bulbs by a 3rd grader and I cherished it. The child was thrilled and so was I. I carted hat tree from apartment to apartment to home after home. I no longer have it but several years ago I purchased the ceramic tree from Mr. Christmas.  This one lights up and when I plug it in it evokes so many happy memories. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper  The classes to make them in the 60's - 80's were very popular back in Connecticut...my home state. I have a ceramic tree my aunt made for me when I moved into my apt in the early 80's. It was my 1st Christmas decor living on my own at the time and I have been decorating with it ever since. It truly is a treasure to me  Here's a pic of it Smiley Happy

P4820233.JPG

Trusted Contributor

My father manufactured them.  I'm  68 and in California.  One style also had white frosted tips.  Very special memories.  I have several and some without the lights set in.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper - I'm with you—I had never seen those trees until they came to QVC and no one I know grew up with them, either.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper  The classes to make them in the 60's - 80's were very popular back in Connecticut...my home state. I have a ceramic tree my aunt made for me when I moved into my apt in the early 80's. It was my 1st Christmas decor living on my own at the time and I have been decorating with it ever since. It truly is a treasure to me  Here's a pic of it Smiley Happy

P4820233.JPG

Oh @Susan Louise your tree is absolutely lovely‼️‼️❤️

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper - I'm with you—I had never seen those trees until they came to QVC and no one I know grew up with them, either.

I find it so interesting @loriqvc Smiley Happy  I grew up in NYC, born in the early 60’s.  I love reading everyone’s stories and experiences.  

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I used to think I was the only person in the country who has never heard of, made, had passed down, or seen one of those little ceramic Christmas trees with lights. 

Then I asked my friends and family and they never heard of them either.  Were they a regional thing in ceramic class or school?  It’s very sweet, I just never heard of them except on QVC these past holiday seasons.  

My mother had one back in the 50’s...It was a plug in. Every Christmas it was displayed for years.  I don’t think was necessarily a regional thing.  We lived in the Pittsburgh area. Seemed like everyone had one.    Unfortunately, it didn’t survive their move to Florida.  But..I continued on with the tradition.  I have had a white one for years.   When I saw the pink mini ones, I immediately got them for my 3 little granddaughters.  The kids are too young to have them now, so I put them away for when they get a little older. 

Honored Contributor

I never saw them growing up at least we didn’t have any. 

however when my in laws moved to Fla. they gave us 2 of them that my MIL made in ceramics. They are fairly large.

Honored Contributor

I never saw them growing up. Before QVC I had seen them mentioned in vintage Christmas decorating sites. Personally I don’t really understand the attraction I don’t think they’re very pretty. The only one that I like is the mini in white. I could see that on my desk since it is also white.
Trusted Contributor

My sister made one in a ceramics class in the 60s.  I loved it!  We were living in the Chicago suburbs at the time.  I am thinking about buying the one from QVC, because sooner rather than later, I will be unwilling to put up a big tree at Christmas time.