Honored Contributor

Re: Curious — Ceramic Christmas Trees

They were very popular in the midwest for several decades, then fell really far out of fashion in especially the 90's and early 2000's. They were seen here, as something your old grandma had, and nobody wanted, even viewed at the time as a tacky and not very desirable. I used to see them in thrift stores in the 90's and beyond, and they couldn't give them away. 

But, everthing old is new again, and they are all the rage in some circles again. I have one that I've had since the early 80's that was specially made for me by a friend, and is different and more elegant than any I've ever seen. I've always loved it, while not being a fan of the more standard ones like Q is reproducing. 

When my son was in his mid teens, he worked at an auction house and bought me (for Christmas) a pearlized white one with red lights. Honestly I thought it was about the ugliest one I'd ever seen, but you know how it is when your kids get you something at that age, you tend to fall in love with it, even if you don't 'like' it. 

Long story short, I ended up building my dining room decor around that ceramic tree, doing an elegant red and white thing. Now I only see love when I look at that tree. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just FYI for anyone who likes these trees: The upcoming Big Deal will be a graduated set of three for just under $50. That seems like a great value, though it isn't going to entice me to buy them.  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

They were very popular in the midwest for several decades, then fell really far out of fashion in especially the 90's and early 2000's. They were seen here, as something your old grandma had, and nobody wanted, even viewed at the time as a tacky and not very desirable. I used to see them in thrift stores in the 90's and beyond, and they couldn't give them away. 

But, everthing old is new again, and they are all the rage in some circles again. I have one that I've had since the early 80's that was specially made for me by a friend, and is different and more elegant than any I've ever seen. I've always loved it, while not being a fan of the more standard ones like Q is reproducing. 

When my son was in his mid teens, he worked at an auction house and bought me (for Christmas) a pearlized white one with red lights. Honestly I thought it was about the ugliest one I'd ever seen, but you know how it is when your kids get you something at that age, you tend to fall in love with it, even if you don't 'like' it. 

Long story short, I ended up building my dining room decor around that ceramic tree, doing an elegant red and white thing. Now I only see love when I look at that tree. 

@Mominohio   I had never heard of nor seen this type of tree until ebay, then later, they showed up here.  I bought a fabulous green on a musical stand at least two feet tall and nice width, for about $139, so consider this a deal now that I see what the new are going for.

Honored Contributor

Ceramic classes were extremely popular here in WV during the 70’s.   Mom’s best friend made ashtrays for everyone, then moved up to Christmas trees.   I have the ashtray she made for my Papaw, and the tree she made for Mamaw.   They are displayed in my house year round.

Honored Contributor

I used to go to ceramics in the seventies with my friend and her sisters. I didn’t make any Christmas trees though. I might have just gone in the summer.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember seeing those tress around when I was young.  I have one in the attic that a co-worker made for me, but I hardly ever get up there anymore.

I thought the pink trees were different and new.  But I only wanted one little one.  One of my best friend is looking forward to first granddaughter to be born in September.  I wanted to buy just ONE little pink one for her first Christmas. Oh well......

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I used to think I was the only person in the country who has never heard of, made, had passed down, or seen one of those little ceramic Christmas trees with lights. 

Then I asked my friends and family and they never heard of them either.  Were they a regional thing in ceramic class or school?  It’s very sweet, I just never heard of them except on QVC these past holiday seasons.  

@Caaareful Shopper 

I have just always thought of them as Christmas decorations. I know they were (probably still are) popular items to make in ceramic classes around the holidays.

I received a small cream & gold one (not hand made) as one as a gift from the parents of a student over 15 years ago. It is beautiful, gives a soft golden light, and is used every year.

Frequent Contributor

I grew up in NE Pennsylvania, circa 70s- 80s, and my grandmother had one of these green trees.   This became her Christmas tree when she became too old.  It was large, maybe 18”.  I never saw the appeal, and when she died, a cousin took the tree after I told him I didn’t want it.  I’m 53 now, and I wish I took the tree.  I now find it nostalgic.  Strange.  When I saw David’s presentation of Mimi’s tree, I had to have it.