Respected Contributor

Re: Curious — Ceramic Christmas Trees

@Caaareful Shopper   I made a few of these trees in 1996 in a ceramic class for my family and myself.  I still have mine, and my children bring theirs out every Christmas.  I don't know if they were popular but they were in my family.  I will hand down anything of mine for my children and granson and if they don't want it, I assume they will get rid of it.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember seeing these trees in the 50s and 60s in D.C.  I bought mine at Target in an after Christmas sale.  They are very pretty and I still have mine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our family didn't have one but my Aunt did.  And not too long ago my sister received one from her boyfriend's mom which was one the mom had made way back when.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had one growing up.  One of my aunt's took a ceramic class and gave one to my mom either late 70's or early 80's.  It was a green one that you had to plug in.  My siblings and I used to fight over who would get to put the little plastic bulbs in the tree.  When Christmas was over, my mom would take the bulbs out and wrapt them up so they wouldn't get lost.  They would fall out very easily.  Another aunt I remember had one too but hers was an even older version.  The one tree is still in our family and everytime I see one it warms my heart.  I just ordered the large blow mold of this tree that David just sold in his great big Christmas show. I was so excited to see it and had to have it. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We did not have them, but a friend of mine did.  We grew up on Long Island so it would ahve been a 60s 70s thing.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I don't own one but think they are very pretty.

Respected Contributor

My mom made one in ceramics class, probably in the 70s. It is a large white tree with bluebirds and blue lights. I love it and look forward to unpacking it each year.

I have a smaller ceramic one that I think was my grandma’s but I’m not sure if it was made or bought. I’ll have to look at the bottom of it when I unpack it.
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

maryland area and they are quite popular here.

i have one that is close to 70 years old.....i so treasure that one. i have six total of varying sizes. two small ones even go into our guest bathroom. the very old one is in our hallway to enjoy daily during the holidays. i am so afraid that i am going to break it. it is not a shiny finish, but more of a matte white finish with multi colored lights.the light base is wooden and it plugs in. the plastic "lights" all come out and you can make them all one color if you like. there is a yellow star at the top that has broken off a few times. i love it!

I have one that one of my Maryland area relatives made. It must be nearly 70 years old now, as am I and I thought my mother’s was old when I was a child. Then, I thought it was so tacky, but now it is in my entrance hallway every year. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, back in the late 60's and 70's when everyone was taking those ceramic classes the trees became popular. My Mom had a green one my aunt made her and then she bought a white one. I always thought they were cheap looking, but Mom loved hers.

Valued Contributor

I received mine as a gift in the 1950's. My next door neighbor (and father of my best friend) was a salesman. He always had samples in the trunk of his car. One year at Christmas he gave me one of these trees. It was the kind you had to plug in. The light bulb went in to a metal thing that was attached to the inside of the tree. It was white and had the colored lights you had to put in. I've treasured it for nearly 70 years, and still display it every year. 

My mom received one as a gift in the 1980's. Hers is also electric, but the colored bulbs are attached, and it came with a separate base that held the light bulb. I now have that one, and display it also.