Honored Contributor

Curious — Ceramic Christmas Trees

I used to think I was the only person in the country who has never heard of, made, had passed down, or seen one of those little ceramic Christmas trees with lights. 

Then I asked my friends and family and they never heard of them either.  Were they a regional thing in ceramic class or school?  It’s very sweet, I just never heard of them except on QVC these past holiday seasons.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Curious — Ceramic Christmas Trees

@Caaareful Shopper 

Oh, they were very popular when I was a kid and many people I knew had them.  

Our family did not. 

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper   Not sure if it was a regional thing, but, I'm originally from Ohio.  My father-in-law took a ceramics class when he retired back in the late 70s and he made one of these trees for each of his three daughters-in-law.  Sadly, my tree didn't survive the multiple moves to different states over the years.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A friend made one for me.  Had it for years.  Not sure what happened to it!  I had the large one.

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper   I don't know if they were a revival of a 1950s thing in the 1980s (when I made one in a ceramics class) or they were a brand new idea.  In the 1980s they were a plug in.  You put the lamp bulb inside the hollow tree, plugged it in, and the light shined thrsough the little plastic Christmas tree "bulbs" that were stuck in (not glued in) to the holes in the branches of the completed tree.

They came in a couple of sizes back then, too. I am an East Coast/New England/Mid Atlantic dweller all my life, by the way.

Honored Contributor

Someone made one for my mom , but we never used it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I made one in ceramics years ago that Daisy Donahue taught, and also worked at the Post Office. Woman LOL 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

maryland area and they are quite popular here.

i have one that is close to 70 years old.....i so treasure that one. i have six total of varying sizes. two small ones even go into our guest bathroom. the very old one is in our hallway to enjoy daily during the holidays. i am so afraid that i am going to break it. it is not a shiny finish, but more of a matte white finish with multi colored lights.the light base is wooden and it plugs in. the plastic "lights" all come out and you can make them all one color if you like. there is a yellow star at the top that has broken off a few times. i love it!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very popular in the 60's and 70's.  Gals were even making their own.  My mother put her 25 inch green one out every year.  Hope she gives it to me.  

The better quality trees that are more detailed have gained in value over the years, particularly around Christmas on ebay.  I saw a 23 or 25 inch Atlantic in perfect condition go for $200 a few years ago.  Atlantic Manufacturing, the highest rated of the vintage ceramic trees now, made in USA, has gone out of business.

Northeast

Esteemed Contributor

A popular throwback Christmas decor item.

I have a newer version, probably Made in China. It's cute, fun and vintage inspired, all of which I like.