Esteemed Contributor

Re: Close-up pics of vintage ornaments I put on our tree...

@Susan Louise, lovely!  Thanks for sharing!  LM

Respected Contributor

Memories come flooding back seeing these ! I remember exactly the feeling, when handling the ones that have the sparkly white stenciled pictures on them....And my favorites were the concave faceted ones that reflected the lights so beautifully (:

thank you for sharing your photos @Susan Louise (:

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Susan Louise  Wonderful!  Did you find much wear on the ornaments?  How many did you buy in order to fill the tree?

@mousiegirl  I bought about 100 - 110 ornaments on Ebay in various lot sizes. I was able to squeeze about 80 on our 6.5' tree.

I was very picky on choosing the vintage ornament lots. I scrutinized all the ornaments offered in each lot using the zoom feature. I only wanted those lots that I could see were well taken care of and only showed minor wear/usage. Some vintage lots I bought were small of just 1-5 because I wanted specific ornaments. Other vintage lots were from about a dozen to about 30.

I stayed away from those lots that reminded me of when I used to go to estate sales...LOL Those are the lots filled with mostly junk pieces with one or two worthy pieces.

I must admit, the hunting and browsing the 'new listing' lots were fun and most of the lots I bought were auctions too Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Your ornaments are just beautiful Susan Louise.  We had many similar ornaments growing up.  I think my sister has a few of them, but most of them were broken over the years.

Thank you for sharing your lovely tree.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise

I'm a Christmas vintage decorator and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your ornaments Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Susan Louise  Wonderful!  Did you find much wear on the ornaments?  How many did you buy in order to fill the tree?

@mousiegirl  I bought about 100-110 ornaments on Ebay in various lot sizes. I was able to squeeze about 80 on our 6.5' tree.

I was very picky on picking the vintage ornament lots. I only wanted those that I could see were well taken care of and only showed minor wear/usage. Some lots were small of 1-5 because I wanted specific ornaments, other vintage lots were from about a dozen to about 30.

I stayed away from those lots that reminded me of when I used to go to estate sales...LOL Those are the lots filled with mostly junk pieces with one or two worthy pieces.

I must admit, the hunting and browsing the new listing lots were fun and most of the lots I bought from were auctions too Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Thank you.  At first, some lots I think are expensive but after doing the math, the cost average is fair..  I am a little surprised at the cost of some, and some sellers are nuts with what they charge, so I pass those by. I used to hunt for them, then stopped, but you have me on the hunt again, lol.  Yes, I try to get ornaments with the least wear, but sometimeds it's difficult to tell.

On my living room tree, I have always had old, and then whatever I have collected through the years, most reminding me of the past, and animal ornaments.  Most of mine are vintage now as they are over twenty years old, some much older.  I have a few of my Mother's. don't know what she did with all she had, but they were mostly colord balls, which I like.  This morning I bought a set of striped which are just like what my Mother used, so am hoping they are good.

It is fun to see the ornaments, sends me way back to great memories. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I love your photos!  We had some like those.  I liked the striped ones and the odd triangle rounded ones ( we called those the space ships).  And the ones with the sceenes on them.  You, never see bulbs like those anymore.  Thanks for posting them, takes me back.

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise  I love your tree.  One can tell right away that this is not just a tree but it's decorated with loved ornaments   that have been cherished for a long time.  

Merry Christmas to You!

Honored Contributor

I  have many of those ornaments as well.  They were from our tree growing up.  I still have the Shiney Bright boxes (which are in pretty bad shape!).

I had hoped to get the ones my grandmother had, but my Uncle had already tossed them when he got rid of all the holiday stuff when he stopped decorating.

I love putting them on my tree, too.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise  Oh, thanks so much for posting the close-ups of the ornaments.  I zoomed the other pictures but this is much better.  I have always loved the indented ones so I see you do too and there are some beautiful ones.  I see some that we had at one time but most I haven't seen or owned.  I also love the dark blue one with the white candles, just looks so special.  I'd hate to have to pick an absolute favorite.  I know you're proud of all of these and you and DH will enjoy them for years.

Thanks again for sharing the pictures and the info on where to find them if anyone wants to start a collection.  You did an outstanding job of choosing the ones to get.  I love them all.