Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas tree shortages?

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

We already have some of those murder hornets!!  Yikes, does that count??

@LindaSal  Oh heck, why not... Something else to add to the ever-growing list of 'joys' experienced this year...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

This has been said in previous years.

I assume that it depends upon the area of the country in which you live.

I have been able to find a tree and at a resonable price for every year that I have been married and had a tree. (Only one year that we did not have a tree-- I was sick and just got out of the hospital). 

Honored Contributor

I'm not worried about an epic snowstorm; I'm wondering if it will ever be cold.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 86° when it's supposed to be 72°. 

I've had one 20 minute moderate shower here in the past 6 months, no other rain.  There is concern that the Rio Grande at Albuquerque may dry up.  I'm watering old, established shrubbery and trees for the first time ever.

Snow?  I'm not even remotely concerned.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess  According to this article from PA, there are two reasons: a hot, dry summer; and, the recession from a few years ago, resulting in planting less trees.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/local/lycoming-county/christmas-tree-farms-shortage-rain/523-2b0b1...

Honored Contributor

Maybe pre cut ones, in bigger cities will be more limited? 

I can't imagine where we live, and there are a billion places to go and cut your own, that there would be an issue there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if many of the tree growers can’t afford to ship them across the country. I know the cost of transporting anything seems to have really increased. When we lived in New Mexico, we would gather tumbleweeds and decorate them with lights....always plenty of those.

Respected Contributor

Guess some folks have forgotten about the wild fires that have decimated so much of the northwestern and western states. Can't grow trees or pumpkins without land. 

Trusted Contributor

There is not a pumpkin shortage. It was so wet the crops were planted later than usual so harvesting was a little later Plenty if pumpkins.

It has been in the 30s in the morning here which is colder than normal. It’s just weather.
Valued Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I wonder if many of the tree growers can’t afford to ship them across the country. I know the cost of transporting anything seems to have really increased. When we lived in New Mexico, we would gather tumbleweeds and decorate them with lights....always plenty of those.

When we moved to Southern California in the 1960s some of the neighbors would gather tumbleweeds, spray them white and create "snowmen".  Very clever.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@CritterKeeper wrote:

@Jordan2  Ha! You know there will be an apocalyptic snowstorm this year. We've had everything else, so why not!?!  

@CritterKeeper @Jordan2  In my area, we've not had a real winter for several years but I've been thinking this will be the year we get the winter from hell. Don't get me wrong, I like winter, and certainly would like to see more of one then we've had lately, but if ever there would be a year of winter off the charts, this would be it... Then, expect fireballs from the sky and that long promised plague of locusts...

@stevieb 

Who knows what the Halloween Moon will bring....And what about that Asteroid thats coming close to Earth on November 29th.........

grumpy cat new years Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”