Valued Contributor

Re: Christmas this year will be?

Honored Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Christmas will be tough as I lost my husband in September.  I know I am repeating myself on here, but its going to be a rough week.  

My daughter and her husband will be with me Christmas day

I apologize for repeating myself, sometimes I just still can't even believe it.

@Miss Pepsi  I'm so sorry for your loss. Christmas will be tough. Thank goodness for your daughter and sil. 

Trusted Contributor

Very different from prior Christmas's. For 30 years I have hosted Christmas at my house. Over the years the guest list has changed. My parents, in-laws and brother have all passed away. My siblings (sister and brother), their children and eventually their children's children all came to my house. This year it was supposed to be me, daughter, SIL, granddaughter, younger son and his girlfriend. My husband and older son are both working. Friday younger son called and his girlfriend tested positive earlier in the day. So it will be just the four of us. Will crack open the kitchen and dining room windows for air flow. Should be interesting as the high is only going to be in the 20's. We've all been in each others bubble since the beginning of this, so I'm not overly concerned. I feel like the house is going to feel really empty. I do have to say, even though this year really sucked I am really grateful for all the blessings we did have this year.🎄❄️☃️❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Kind of the same for us.  It's always been more on the quiet side and I don't mind that.  Our adult kids will be here with their significant others (they are all tested frequently due to their jobs)  so we will be able to have a nice dinner and exchange gifts (we keep it small) and watch football most likely.  We did our annual Wizard of Oz movie on Thanksgiving this year!   It will be mild enough in the northeast that I  will have my slider door open to let fresh air in with the firplace going.   I am thankful for all of this.

May you all enjoy your Christmas the best you can and I wish you all a happy healthy 2021, God willing Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Very quiet like other years.  DS lives 4 miles away and normally would be here but he is out and about with his work.  Even though they wear masks he is worried about me getting sick plus he is on call all this week. We don't get cell reception here so he wouldn't able to come.

I will get his gifts to him, a drop on the porch and a hello with me in the driveway.  

It will be just DD and I.  

Trusted Contributor

Unlike any other.

We will spend Christmas Eve Day traveling to our parents' homes to say hello and exchange gifts.  This will only happen outside, with masks on.

We will come home, have lots of appetizers for dinner, and watch The Santa Clause together as a family of four.  We will be sure to leave cookies and milk out for Santa.

The girls will wake up on Christmas morning as usual, excited about all of the gifts under the tree.  It will be fun to watch them tear open their gifts, open up their boxes, and squeal over those things they wished so hard for and finally got.  Things will seem "normal" for a few hours until it's 1:00 in the afternoon and we realize that our home is oddly quiet.  There will be no hustle and bustle, no ham and lasagna in the oven, no food or drinks free flowing everywhere.  There will be no family members arriving at the front door. No loud conversations throughout the house.  No happy chaos that is our Christmas Day.

Instead we will wear our Family Christmas Pajamas and just be together.  There will be beauty and joy in that moment as well, but I know deep in our hearts we will be longing to be with our family.  It has been way too long.

We will make the sacrifice this year so that there can be a next year

Valued Contributor

162EA577-33EB-4482-B4D2-32705410372D.jpegSame as every year. Celebrating the reason for the season.

Respected Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Christmas will be tough as I lost my husband in September.  I know I am repeating myself on here, but its going to be a rough week.  

My daughter and her husband will be with me Christmas day

I apologize for repeating myself, sometimes I just still can't even believe it.

Absolutely no need to apologize.  Your loss is still new and raw.  I am glad your daughter and son-in-law will be with you on Christmas Day.  I hope you find smiles and peace in the midst of your sadness.  I'm sure your dear husband wants that for you and your daughter.  ❤️

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Breakast--My Grandma's banana walnut coffee cake.

Chat on phone with sister.

Watch church service on computer. 

Christmas music playing all day.

LI'l smokie and cocktail meatball appetitzers for lunch.

The tree and fireplace will be on. 

A glass of wine and a movie after dinner.

I am going to embrace this quiet, peaceful, and tranquil holiday. 

I would award you, the best answer yet.  I'd love to join you, it sounds beautiful.

Honored Contributor

So sorry for your loss, sending you a Merry  Heart Christmas.  Hugs.