Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas in July Thoughts

@Snicks1 wrote:
@On It, I have to agree with you about the possibility of things being more restricted again, this year closer to Christmas. So your point here is well taken.
My family has also nearly stopped gift exchanges, hubby and I still gift each other.
That said, I do still put up a tree and a few other areas get some touches, but nothing like several years ago. I am also downsizing my holiday decor stash. Have way too much and try to move some out, every year. I have the feeling that this year, much more will be leaving my home, it's just the vibe I've been having the past few months.
No one wants to need to deal with a loved one/friend/neighbor excess at any point in the future.
I have not watched nor browsed the website at all this year, so I'm safe from any unneeded temptation. Lol

During the lockdown, my husband and I did a significant purge as well. I have never done the over-the-top Holiday decorating, but we still had a lot of tired decorations. We always use our ceramic tree that my neighbor made us maybe in the late 70's or early 80's. Our purge even involved family photos (duplicates, bad shots, etc). We put a few in our go bag and some in our safety deposit box in case of disaster. We plan another purge this winter.

My husband is the pack rat. He is sentimental about even the smallest things. It is quite the chore to get him to let go.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having to go thur another person's "stuff" whether it's holiday decor or whatever they may have collected is no fun at all.  And it really does a number on you during that process.  At least that was my experience.

Then a few yrs go I look around me and think....your just like "so and so" look at all that BLANK!  How did this happen? and you haven't even worn most of itWoman Surprised and you have purchased more? are you insane I say to myself!Woman LOL

I get caught up in the newness of something...and I can't even remember what Christmas decor I do own!  Have you even opened a bin and thought "I forgot all about this" LOL!  Or I already had one of those!

Like a zombie I ordered 3 of the TSV's yesterday...21" 17" & 14" to have a "set" ....after awhile sanity struck me and I cancelled them all.  I have little white forest trees that light up from Valerie..I think it's a set of 5 I purchased in the AS IS section...do I really need MORE trees?  And all the batteries...that's another thing I have too many items that need batteries.  Thank goodness Costco has great sales on top brand batteries.

I need nothing else to decorate with...yet I have the Peaceful Church TSV from Valerie still on order.  I have nothing like it...and I never saw it last yr.  I also have a wreath made with shatter proof bulbs by Home Reflections....I really want it...what to do?  It's only 22" and I wish it were 28' but I can't find one like it and when I do the price is crazy expensive.

I will enjoy some of the shows but no more ordering...I have said it before but I have to stick to it this time.  I get into to much trouble with returning things and feel awful.  

My kids won't want that stuff by the time I leave the planet...I have never bought anything with that in mind.  My Mom used to say that but I know deep down it was just her way to buy lot's of junk and not feel bad about what happens to it when you leave.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I so agree with you!  I have enough stuff and have purchased a few things in recent years.....I'm not buying this year.  

As a matter of fact my mother passed away recently and though she didn't have Christmas items she still had a lot of stuff.  The lesson that I learned is that I don't want to leave  tons of stuff for my own kids to go though some day.  I started cleaning out our basement and my goal this summer is to finish down there.

We also have a lot of stuff in the garage.  A fall project is to get a dumpster in the driveway and work on cleaing out the garage.  I had been wondering just what the cost to do something like that was....thanks for the heads up and I now have a rough idea what the cost is.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt   The dumpster price was not for a whole house worth of stuff.  All of the furniture was either donated or given away.  The same with small appliances and kitchen   Items including bath and kitchen linens.

All the books were donated or recycled.  Electronics and TVs and old cell phones had to be taken to a special recycle center.  Closets full of clothing and shoes were donated and the older stuff was thrown out.

The dumpster only held items that no one would take....old clothings, medical items....wheel chairs, walkers, potty chairs ( I tried to give away for free, but no takers) holiday stuff like  lighted garlands, standing reindeer, snowmen, angels, Christmas trees, many, many door wreaths, candles, and ornaments. Easter, thanksgiving, halloween, spring, fall and summer decor included.

Community Aid did take some decor items..like mirrrors and picture frames.  They also took sewing machines, a quilting rack and tons of unused quilting fabric.

I tried to put some of this this stuff in the trash weekly, but the trash service would not take it all.  Only one trash can and one recycle bin a week.

I paid for delivery of the dumpster, the haul away fee and by the weight of the items in it to be disposed of....with tax included for $738.17.  It sat in front of the house for five days to be filled.

I would hate to think what it would cost for a whole house worth of items.

It would have been less expensive to toss this stuff out over a longer period of time in the weekly trash, but I ran out of time and had little choice.

Respected Contributor

What I have is all I need.

Honored Contributor

I'm not going to let any retailer influence me into buying stuff for a holiday that is 5 months away.  We had a great Christmas last year when we were all in lockdown.  We'll have a wonderful one this year even if we don't buy a single gift or decoration.  Of course, at this stage in my life, I have enough decorations to decorate 5 houses.  I really shouldn't buy more.

Super Contributor

Winters are always so dark and dreary in Seattle that I love holiday decorations and candles and lights.... starting with autumn decorations through Christmas and winter.  And, because I live with those decorations for almost 6 months I do get tired of them.  

So, even though I don't 'need' anything new, I enjoy watching the QVC Christmas in July/Aug/Sept/Oct shows.  And, invariably, something new will come home to freshen up my decor.  

I don't need them ... and I realize that probably it's not the best for the environment, but I do make a concerted effort to donate any decor I haven't used in two or three years.  

It is interesting though how different shopping options have different 'styles' of decor.  And, for me, QVC's selections and Michael's seem to fit into my decorating style the best. 

Occasional Contributor

I like Christmas in July.

It's when I get most of my Christmas gifts.

And I usually pick up a few new decorations. 

It puts me way ahead of the holiday and the prices are very good.

And I had them all wrapped because I got the gift bags that cinch with

ribbons, so easy. 

Last year I was free to do whatever I wanted the whole month of December.  

Merry Christmas All

Gem 

Trusted Contributor

I totally understand.  I gave all of my Christmas stuff to my daughter last year (tree, ornaments, all decorations).  All I wanted was a holiday village.  So I purchased about 8 Lenox Holiday Village pieces two years ago.  I also purchased Valerie's bottle brush (with white tips) trees.  I already had her silver-glitter/crystal tall trees (purchased them about two years ago).  I create a gorgeous Christmas Village on my sofa table using all three decorations (I even bought acyrlic lifts so I can add height and drama to several pieces) and it's quick and simple to set up and take down.  Totally sophsticated and elegant.