Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas in July Thoughts

Each year before and after Christmas I go through my decorations and decide which I'm bored with or just don't want to use anymore. Occasionally I want to replace with something different. I've found that CIJ usually has the best prices. This is often true of the food items. I mostly stay away from the candy but I have a few other items already ordered as treats for family members. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last year, I did a major cleanup and donated a lot to the Salvation Army and I still have plenty.  Might have to do that again.  I will not part w/my Dickens Christmas Carol village, tho.  Can't put it up anymore, but don't want to give it away either.  Maybe kids/grandkids will want it.  If not, then they can give it away/sell it.

I don't mind the Christmas shows, but haven't bought anything.  I usually buy ornaments as gifts, but haven't made up my mind yet.  Didn't care for the hosts yesterday, so didn't watch much.

@On It  My Daddy used to say the same thing Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler wrote:

Anyone know where to sell 40 year old Hallmark ornaments. People tell me they are collectible but never where.

I just threw out Hallmark ornaments ....lots of them.  I couldn't  even give them away.  You can try to sell them on ebay, but they don't sell for much and it's a lot of work.

Maybe they sell better at Christmas time.

Respected Contributor

@traveler wrote:

Anyone know where to sell 40 year old Hallmark ornaments. People tell me they are collectible but never where.

My husband sells a lot of different things on Ebay.  He's a collector of many, many things.  Christmas ornaments are really hit or miss.  We've had some as old as yours in original packing and no hits.  The ones that have sold and continue to do so are Harry Potter Hallmark ornaments.  I don't know why.  My husband had doubles of many and they all sold, some with multiple bids.  I've put some of the old Hallmark ornaments in our yearly garage sale, they only sale if they're around $1.  

Respected Contributor

For the past several years, before getting Christmas decorations out and when the season i over, we have gone thru deciding what to keep and what to donate.  I'd like to to donate more.  I hate seeing my husband going into the attic and bringing all those large plastic bins down.  I'd say we've gotten rid of half.  I say more can go, husband will say otherwise.  I'm really not tempted for CIJ.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb wrote:

@BlueFinch  For me Christmas is all about my tree, holiday scented candles and some good food. So when I get my shopping done, I can relax and enjoy the reason for the season. 

Well said. I totally agree! Less is more at this stage of my life. And that's fine.

Side note...and again this is just me...only child, sentimental nature...it was a sentimental journey (as well as a HUGE TASK) to go through some of mom's special purchases, things she loved. She was alive then so it wasn't sad, just sentimental. I have the things that are precious to me that were hers.

And I have friends, my age that feel the same and have things that belonged to their mom, grandmom, aunts. But this generation...not so sentimental about all our chotchkes I think. I don't have kids so NO one will be wanting things, and that's fine with me. I've enjoyed them.  ...as I also hope OP's friend enjoyed hers throughout her life...I hope they brought her joy.

I understand both perspectives. I think it depends on one's season of life and budget. One thing no one mentions is that decor can be an "experience" for some. They enjoy the ambiance provided by the pretty things in the here and now but don't feel committed to them. They feel free to change things up and send things away. 

~Quack

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's two different topics here:

One is decor

One is gifts

As far as decor---long ago, someone on the Forum gave a good tip, if you purchase an item, donate, give away, or throw away an item you already have---

As Ive gotten older, I have downsized, and agree there's more to Christmas than just decor, we give donations to charity as gifts--no small kids in our circle of friends/family, but I still like my home to have the "spirit of the season" on a smaller scale though....

As for the gifts, there have been delays in product manufacturing, and we have all seen how the overload in online shopping even before Co-Vid and the Holiday season resulted in delivery delays----so if your family/friends exchange gifts I would recommend early shopping....

Maybe I misread, but the $740 figure sounds like it was for a whole house full of stuff that needed to be moved since the home was being sold....not just Christmas decor that needed to be removed.

....I highly recommend a company called, "College Hunks" (google them to see if they are in your area)--they are reasonable in their prices ----they offer a wide variety of services--they do junk removal, take care of donating items, and also move just a few pieces of furniture or handle a full house move...They have great reviews and they even donate a portion of their proceeds to charity too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

What a good friend you are -- clearing out someone else's house is I feel worse than doing our own🙄

Its so sad when I go to estate sales to see beautiful things for sale pennies on the dollar☹️ But good for us shoppers.  Recently I bought a beautiful Dooney hygranea tote travel piece.  Brand new still wrapped.  They were asking $150 I ended up paying $30😁

Although, most who shop at estate sales know the quality of things.  The estate sale at day 3 is all 75%.  It totally amazes me the thousands of $$$ people have spent only to sell it for pennies. (My stuff too brings a reality check🙈)

My kids have convinced me to sell my things NOW because they don't want to sell my "treasures" they'd rather donate or trash😢

Now, I keep that "thought" in the back of my mind when I shop my favorite stores with "horse blinders" on...lol

Contributor

I agree with Quack " I understand both perspectives. I think it depends on one's season of life and budget. One thing no one mentions is that decor can be an "experience" for some. They enjoy the ambiance provided by the pretty things in the here and now but don't feel committed to them. They feel free to change things up and send things away.:

Last year at Christmas I was recovering from surgery and was basically stuck on the couch all the time. I had an indoor/outdoor illuminated Snoopy mailbox lit up in the room and a very tiny tree and that decor did become an "experience" for me and lifted my spirits during a dark time.

Honored Contributor

@On It, I have to agree with you about the possibility of things being more restricted again, this year closer to Christmas. So your point here is well taken.
My family has also nearly stopped gift exchanges, hubby and I still gift each other.
That said, I do still put up a tree and a few other areas get some touches, but nothing like several years ago. I am also downsizing my holiday decor stash. Have way too much and try to move some out, every year. I have the feeling that this year, much more will be leaving my home, it's just the vibe I've been having the past few months.
No one wants to need to deal with a loved one/friend/neighbor excess at any point in the future.
I have not watched nor browsed the website at all this year, so I'm safe from any unneeded temptation. Lol
"To each their own, in all things".