Frequent Contributor

Re: Christmas decor for outdoors...

I'm sorry to hear your decorations were taken.  I do very little outdoors mainly on my porch close to the house.  Our neighbor nearby decorates like Clark Griswold so he makes enough Christmas for all of us.  In the town near to us, there is one subdivision that hires professional decorators to come in and decorate all of the houses.  It is a joy to drive through and see the homes.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't had an issue with Christmas deacorations...but neighbors who had the Bliss lights...DID have theirs stolen. I hang a wraeth on each window with red bow and ribbon. They look nice from the street, but I have had them for 15 yrs.....if the get stolen...I won't put up any more because I am tired of them anyway....LOL

Super Contributor

I live in a big city. First, I know that if I put out some fancy and expensive holiday decorations, they woud be gone in a heartbeat. Second, we do not have an electrical outlet in front of our house, and DH is not going to drill through our foundation in order to have one. (Don't like the look of an electrical cord dangling from the mailbox.) So we decorate our windows from inside our house, and hang our wreath on our front door between our locked storm door.

Super Contributor

Luckily I haven't had any Christmas decor stolen but darned if someone didn't still my Darth Vader pumpkin!!!

Honored Contributor

We used to decorate big time outside.  But we have downsized that to just a few light strings around  the boulder bed and we drape the porch railings with greenery and lights.  I  decorate the front porch by putting a lantern and greens on the table and a couple of pots with evergreens.  Simple, easy and nice.

We've lived here nine years and so far no thefts.  We have a concrete Donkey that we put a bow on for the holidays.  If they try to steal him they'll have a hernia from lifting it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't really decorate outside. A wreath on the door is about as good as it gets. Unfortunately, my theory is not to put anything outside that I would miss if it "disappeared". 

It wasn't Christmas related, but years ago, at another house, we had things stolen from the back yard, which was  actually fenced in and the gate locked.  When my daughter was small, we bought her a Little Tikes  playhouse and a Little Tikes car. She loved playing in her "own home". So one morning, we got up to discover that both the house and car were gone.  It couldn't have been an easy feat to get the house over the fence, it was over four feet tall. 

After that, we never put anything outside that we didn't want to lose. It's sad that this is the world we live in, but it is what it is. Now that she's grown, my daughter jokes that she had her first car stolen at the age of three.